Pirates, fairies and witches - Oh My!

Pirates, fairies and witches oh my

I’ve been boarded by pirates.

My house is being completely over-run by them and a fairy and there is nothing I can do about it.

Nor would I want to really.

All the air mattresses are up and my dining room chairs and several sheets are now being employed as poles and tents for the giant “pirate” sleeping quarters that have popped up in my loungeroom. Complete with lots of pirate sword fighting and fun.

Everybody has made a pirate hat (though Nathan and Mark have pleaded that any pictures I take go no-where near the internet) and now we’re all having a go at rolling out pizza dough and getting the toppings ready. The airconditioner (which is really earning it’s keep today) is keeping the temperature low enough for me to use the pizza oven built into my wall oven and the whole house smells deliciously of home-made (and designer original) pizza. While the kids are sticking to the cheese and tomatoe and variations on that theme. I’ve created my famous “Cudgen special”. If I tell you exactly what’s in it I’ll have to kill you but suffice to say it starts with a curry paste rather than tomato base and may or may not involve chicken, brie, shallots, fresh avocado, mangoes and cashew nuts.

Of course now all the hard work is done and the pizza’s are being prepared Kat turns up – bottle of wine in hand. Though to be honest I’m glad she wasn’t here earlier in fact I was kind of hoping she wouldn’t turn up at all. But there’s fresh man bait and she’s not about to turn that down!! Mind you if she touches him she dies!  Not that he’s really mine or that  I can openly tell her that we’re – whatever we are – I’m just hoping she gets the message. Of course all this is unless Tom sees the two of us together and has second thought. She’s beautiful and petite and doesn’t look like she could jumpstart a tractor – oh crap didn’t think of that. Not going to melt down, not going to melt down.

Tom and I have been chucking dough at each other and mucking around with the pizza toppings with the kids – more bits of avocado are going in his mouth and I’m eating the mango while we can’t keep the kids out of the cheese. Brooke and I are painting faces on the bases with the tomato and curry pastes. And Katrina is smiling and leaning on the bench occasionally getting Tom to pass her something and inadvertently touching his hand or arm any chance she can get.

Tom has the big knife in his hand cutting up the mushrooms – I don’t think he is game to let me near it.  I ask her if she wants one of my “Cudgen specials” and she rolls her eyes.

“Oh Megan who puts mango on a pizza,” she says emphasizing my name like I’m not smart enough to understand it if she doesn’t. I kind of feel Tom bristle beside me and I try not to laugh as I gently taking the knife from him.

“I’ll make my own thanks!” she says smiling over at Tom.

“Would you like some of mine Tom, you’ll have to have some of mine I’m the chef of the family,” she purrs.

(I put the knife down).

Nathan laughs – “Cousin Kat – Aunty Meg’s pizza’s are world famous!”

Tom nods “I’ve had a Cudgen special – Scott’s made it a couple of times – he said it was his sister’s speciality. It’s one of the many reasons I was really keen to meet her,” he smiles at me – the full forty-watt smile.

“I can’t wait to get my hands on the original!” he says picking up my hand and squeezing it. It’s an obvious innuendo and an open display of affection and I should smack him for it but hell she deserves it.

“Oh god get a room you two!” Nathan says rolling his eyes and I look at him with a touch of shock. Are we that obvious? Surely not.

“Hasn’t Uncle Tom got a room?” Brooke asks and I laugh – get out of that one Nat I dare you.