the Afghanistan situation

Hello everyone.

Normally I try keep a light tone while talking about things, but this is very serious, and I feel like it's not being talked about enough.

Today, the Taliban, the Islamic fundamentalists, took the capital city of Kabul in Afghanistan, after being toppled from rule 20 years ago.

This is because the British and US troops pulled out, because they had no more reason to be there. However, the Taliban took this as an opportunity to move in, and gained huge amounts of control of the country in 10 or so days.

Under the Taliban, women's right were made basically nonexistent, men and children were killed under suspicion of not being Muslim, and more atrocities.

The entire United Nations left the Afghans like lambs in a fucking slaughter.

They did not let Afghan refugees into their countries, they did not train the Afghan militia to defend themselves against the Taliban and now they've pulled out, knowing the consequences.

In the cities, the Taliban are using loudspeakers to look for collaborators with the Americans and the British, presumably so that they can punish them.

Afghans have been storming the airport in Kabul, in attempts to flee the country. Everyone is living in fear there, and the Taliban have been making demands for the girls from families to be given to them so they can be married off. Girls' schooling may also be banned, meaning the last 20 years of fighting for women's education will have meant nothing.

Some say that even leaving as few as 2,500 troops in Afghanistan would've been enough to stop another Taliban takeover.

I'm not pro-war, but something fucking needs to be done.

Please spread the word about this. This is a situation which I take very personally, with where I live being a couple of neighbouring countries away, and I know a couple of Afghanis.

This is all fucking terrible and we need to do something.

We need to lobby for visa extentions so that Afghans can live in other countries; we need to write to local mps, senators, whatever the fuck, so that this shit can get sorted out.

And most importantly, we need to spread awareness about this so that there is more pressure on those in power to do something.

Here are a couple of articles that are useful if you wants to learn more:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/who-are-the-taliban

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58232815.amp

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/14/afghanistan-taliban-us-troops

Thank you for reading, I really appreciate it!!