Chapter 6

I feel disgruntled the entire afternoon, only intensified by the look of hilarity on Chase's smug face every time someone sends me a shocked glance or we overhear gossip of the newly homosexual couple at school. I haven't even been here a week yet and I've already been labeled by the masses, all because of Vincent, who is the major antagonist as of now in this little fantasy high school experience. I would kill to be back in Los Angeles, where I was just a blank face in the crowd.

After the final bell rings, Chase reiterates the details of the cookout to which I roll my eyes. I ditch him in the courtyard and pick my sister up from elementary school like the previous days, weaving in between the crowd of housewives to find Caroline. She sits by the water fountain in the hallway, sipping on a juice box. I'm surprised to see a smile on her face.

"What's got you so happy?" I ask suspiciously. I had been anticipating the silent treatment after the debacle in the car this morning.

"Nothing." She draws unconvincingly. She picks at the top of the juice box with a goofy grin and dreamy eyes.

"Okay, then. Do you have all of your st-"

"Fine, I'll tell you." She blurts out and I use great restraint to not roll my eyes at her frustrating antics. "There's this cute boy in my class - his name is Roy - and he asked me if I want to have a play date with him!"

"A play date?" I muse. "He better at least buy you dinner first."

"What?"

I sigh. "Nevermind."

"There he is!" She squeaks, quickly pivoting behind me as if I'm some massive fortress. "Look how cute he is. Wait, don't look he'll know I'm talking about him. Well look, but don't look."

I chuckle aloud. "I don't understand your commands, your highness." I side step Caroline so she's in plain sight. "Did you mean for me to do this." Then I raise my hands as if presenting her to the royal court. She smacks my leg. Hard.

"Jack, stop!"

Through the crowd, I spot a boy who seems to be the object of my sister's desire. He looks to be about the same age, identical height as Caroline, with short copper hair and light freckles across his cheeks and nose. If we weren't standing in an elementary school in Minnesota I would mistake him for a Kid Vogue model, if that's even a thing, and his mother, with a youthful face and fiery red hair is of the same beauty. Honestly, this city is a gene pool.

They approach us, both smiling pleasantly, probably appearing like much nicer people than the Rivers family. The boy, Roy I presume, isn't shy as most boys of his age are around girls, but instead he's confident and waves to my sister. Her face turns beet red, something we both inherited from our father.

"You must be Jack?" The mother says, extending her hand as an indication of welcome. I reluctantly accept and nod. "I'm Mrs. Smith, Roy's mom."

"It's nice to meet you," I tell her as Caroline grips onto my leg with hulk like strength.

She beams, "Likewise! Roy hasn't stopped talking about your sister since the moment I picked him up." Roy doesn't seemed at all abashed by his mother's proclamation but rather smiles warmly at Caroline who blushes furiously. "I wanted to ask your mom if we could arrange a play date."

I pull from my backpack a notecard, littered in doodles that I quickly erase to save myself from further embarrassment, and I scribble down my mother's cell number before handing it to the lady. "That's her mobile number. She wouldn't mind me giving it to you."

"Can I phone her tonight?"

"Well, we're going to this cookout tonight." I tell her, unsuccessfully disguising the reluctance in my voice. "So maybe tomorrow."