Chapter 7

There comes a vital point in life where you're caught between a rock and a hard place, and perhaps faced with an imperative life or death decision. In my case, the rock is a senior football player turned rabid dog and the hard place is a lunatic I ran into in the woods, but the context isn't what counts. The matter at hand is that a life or death decision is starting to seem more like a death or death one.

If I step forward, trust that the wolf that paws the ground and snarls in warning is Vince and has the same control as him, then I risk becoming its meal. But the alternant of backing into the clutches of some demonic being would be equally as dangerous, and what's to stop the wolf from slaughtering the both of us.

So, that is my dilemma.

We arrive at an impasse; neither party takes action, rounding me like a merry-go-round. I keep my eyes on the wolf, somehow finding solace in his cerulean irises. He bows his head a bit, almost gesturing to the ground, and I wonder if he's trying to communicate. The wolf repeats the action with more urgency, his snout routinely pointing towards the ground.

I nod slowly and then count 1, 2, 3, before falling limp to the forest floor, my body lying flat against the leaves and sticks. The wolf leaps over me, now having open access the assailant. When I hear his snarls I quickly jump to my feet and run to the nearest tree, ducking behind for cover.

The wolf and the pale man are at it, clawing at one another with no restraints, fighting to the death. I'm marveled by the man's strength as he overpowers the wolf; it's inhuman. How could a man of his size - or a man at all for that matter - hold down a wolf the size of a horse with one hand? I gasp, disturbed when the man slams the wolf the floor, grasping it by the neck single handedly. The wolf whimpers in agony which tears at my heart strings. And I realize that I have to do something.

The stranger works to eradicate the creature by crushing its windpipe, causing the beautiful wolf whine. With the realization that this creature - Vince or not - is about to be slain, I lift up the nearest branch, long and thick, almost too heavy to carry, and I charge. I whack the man in the face and he recoils.

The damage is not nearly what I would have hoped, but the force is enough to free the wolf who flips onto his stomach once more and tackles the man. With a howl of fury, it bites onto the man's head and with a swift movement decapitates him effortlessly, tossing his head aside like trash. I scream, falling back onto my ass, cutting my arms up in the process. No blood or guts spill from the strange man's limp form. It's like he was a puppet all along.

I can hardly breathe and tears threaten to break through. The wolf turns on me and, instead of running for my life like I probably should, I lay still. I almost lose consciousness as the beast's hair retracts into its skin and it morphs into a very naked Vincent Blackwell.

It takes great control not to stare at his thick pecs and impressive manhood, even in a time where sex should be the last thing on my mind. He gazes at me with a concerned expression and my heart flutters. Even in a time of great peril, he manipulates my emotions like a ventriloquist.

"Are you alright?" He asks softly.

I shake my head urgently. "What the hell was that?"

"I'll explain everything once we're back on safer grounds," Vince tells me. "We need to get out of here in case more of them show up."

"There are more?" I ask, my voice unsteady.

He nods morbidly, pulling me into his warm chest. I feel my face heat up at the proximity with his lack of clothing. His skin is soft and comforting, and the mere contact drains all the worry and malcontent. "Um, you're naked." I tell him.