Chapter 9

The truck bounces over a speed bump and I brace myself in case of a collision. I will admit that Vince is a man of many talents, but driving is clearly not his forte. The sour mood he's exuded since the moment he ambushed Caroline and me outside her school only worsens his control of the vehicle.

"You didn't have to do this, you know." I say more confidently than I would if Caroline weren't in the tiny backseat, barely six inches away. "My mom would've picked us up."

"Actually, I did." He says calm and indifferently. At least he has improved at reigning in his emotions.

It's obvious that he needed an excuse to bombard me without breaking and entering or making a scene at school that could get him in trouble, so what better way than through my oblivious little sister. I imagine the only reason he's not down my throat, and I don't mean that sexually, is because my sister is sitting in the backseat.

"I appreciate the ride Vince." Caroline says sweetly.

"You never appreciate anything I do for you," I say over my shoulder to her.

"Well, I just like your boyfriend better."

"He's not my -"

Vince interrupts me, calling back to her. "The pleasure is mine, sweetums. You can tell your mom I'll be driving you and Jack home every day after school from now on."

My neck nearly snaps I turn on him so fast. On his face is a shit-eating grin - so devilish - that promises this is only the beginning of what he has in store. He takes my hand into his much larger one and squeezes. Whether it's meant to be domineering or comforting, the line is pretty fuzzy. But the sensation is pleasing regardless.

A heat rises in my chest. It's warming, like coals sizzling in my stomach, but after being burned before I hesitate at the sensation. Shouldn't this whole situation make me happy? I have an attractive man calling himself my boyfriend who protects me and treats my sister like the little princess she believes herself to be. Maybe I'm afraid of opening myself up to another person. I've never been the one who needs protection, but in this world I feel so frail and vulnerable.

When the truck comes to a halt outside my house, Caroline dashes to the front door slinging her backpack over her shoulder. I don't budge. Partly because I know there's a conversation with Vincent I need to have eventually, and partly because I don't want to cause a scene by tempting him to chase me across the lawn.

We sit in silence. I muster the courage to speak first.

"I won't apologize for hanging out with Christine," I say. "She's just a friend."

He shifts in his seat, and gives me a disbelieving expression. "You think that is what I am upset about?"

I stare into his stunning eyes, mesmerized by their softness, and the curvature of his long lashes.

"Isn't it?"

He scoffs, shaking his head irritably. "I show you who I am. I tell you how much you mean to me. And the first thing you do is run to the people who hate me most." I gather he's referring to Rachel's cult. "Is that what this is? You want them to keep me away from you?"

I'm alarmed by the lack of passion in his voice. Normally I can rely on him to be heated and fervent, but now he sounds almost uncaring. I think of a rope slipping out of my fingers and the harder I try to hold on the more it burns my skin.

Looking for an out was never my intention in searching out Rachel, but would I be interested in an out if it came my way? It hadn't crossed my mind. Vincent has forced a relationship between us up to this point, and the suddenness and mystery of it all was what really kept me from wanting him. I didn't want him to leave, I just want some answers.