Chapter 10

Many things come naturally to me. School, for the most part, was a piece of cake. I hardly have to study to receive good grades. Technology comes easy to me. Give me a new device and I'll have mastered it within the hour. And sticking my own foot in my mouth in most social situations is what I am inherently best at. Just ask most anyone I've met since puberty.

But archery is different. It takes concentration, practice, and patience. And the effort makes the reward so much greater.

When I manage to stick an arrow into the margin of the center ring, I nearly scream in excitement. The exhilaration is unlike anything I've ever experienced. My vibes are contagious and the others, who take to me more today, catch my euphoria like a bad bout of flu. We whoop and holler in each other's triumphs, and they seem insistent on sharing tips and helping me improve. Even Reed mutters something about lifting my elbow higher for a straighter shot.

Bridget must've spoken to them, insisted they treat me well. But regardless I appreciate the gestures from each of them. Because honestly, I just want to be here to shoot.

I feel so powerful. After being powerless in the circumstances surrounding me, it's nice to have the upper hand for a change. I couldn't stop the move to Minnesota. I was powerless against Vincent's advances. And I was utterly helpless when that inhuman man came for me in the woods. But with a bow in hand I don't feel powerless, I'm compelled to shoot my adversaries. Sure, I wouldn't put an arrow in my dad or Vincent. But if someone is trying to hurt me, what force should stop me from fighting back.

"There's a moral code we all live by, you know." Bridget's voice distracts me from the target. I give her an inquisitive look, wondering what prompted that revelation. "I've seen that look in your eyes before, many times. Just remember, it only okay to fight to protect the good."

"I thought we're just shooting targets." I feign ignorance poorly.

She nods her head, but I can tell she's not buying it. Bridget is a smart girl, and I am a bad liar. She must know I'm aware of Vincent's unusual background. The only question left is whether she considers him a target to shoot or a good person to defend.

At the end of the period, I walk with Rachel back into the school building. Remembering clearly her reluctance to talk about Chase and Chase's promise that none of my conversations at school are private, I aim for a much softer subject.

"How long have you been a part of this club?" I ask, hoping she knows I can see past the façade of it simply being a high school archery club.

"My whole life she says." She answers. "Bridget and I were neighbors growing up. Most of the kids in the club live on the same block. All of our parents' are friends. We pretty much took this on together from a young age."

I nod in understanding. "That must be why you're so tight knit."

Rachel glances back at Reed who is trailing behind, looking irritated. "Yeah, we've all been close for a very long time. Not many people make their way in, and being friends with Vincent and his crew only makes things more complicated. There's ugly history there."

I spot a chance to delve into said history but I stop myself, not wanting to have to explain my current situation with Vincent as it still makes my heart heavy. So I jump for the next best thing.

"Do you date any of the guys in your clique?" I ask.

She laughs. "Ew, no. The boys are like brothers to me. We used to take mud baths together in the lake during the summer. They would never see me that way."

"What about any other boys at school?" I press further.

Rachel's face reddens. She knows who I'm referring to. "Like I said, things are complicated. I have loyalties to my friends and my family before some boy. I'll tell you about it some other time, okay?"