VI: Ministry Mayhem & The Big Surprise

Her family was giving her a strange look. The kind of look one would give after witnessing both the victim and assailant in the same room. Y/n as the victim, and Dove; the assailant.

Y/n was crouched in a corner, spacing out to nothing, dark rings for eyes, widely awake and tired. Her face was pale as sheet, and lips; chapped and tightly shut.

The crack of dawn was showing.

She was reminiscing everything. How as time passed, their relationship evolved into something special. It was beyond friendship. They knew each other so well. They shared laughter from witnessing a Maguru teenager being picked up by a police officer as though he was a piece of paper. The boy was kicking the tree swing for the entertainment of his friends. They sprinted at the sight of the police officer except for the boy. Or their shared tears from cuddling room-locked under warm sheets, waiting for Kagami's favourite pizza, pepperoni, jalapeños, 2-litre coke, watching Oshin in Dove's television at seven in the evening. The girl wouldn't stop gushing about Shunsaku even though Y/n couldn't see the appeal. The memories clogged her mind like smoke that she needed to evacuate the room. They shared each other with their innermost thoughts and secrets. When they were together, somehow it was okay to be silly and giddy. They gave each other permission to be young again . . . it was a wonderful feeling. A wonderful feeling that had to end.

Haruki had woken everyone after a few hours' sleep. He used magic to pack up the tent, and the left the campsite as quickly as possible, passing Mr Roberts at the door of his cottage. Mr Roberts had a strange, dazed look about him, and he waved them off with a vague, "Merry Christmas".

"He'll be all right," says Mr Weasley quietly, as they marched off onto the moor. "Sometimes, when a person's memory's modified, it makes them a bit disoriented for a while . . . and that was a big thing they had to make him forget."

Y/n understood completely. She couldn't blame them. She couldn't sleep a wink last night. And maybe that goes the same for the others.

Phoebe was leeching on her like a cat on a scratcher. In fact, Y/n couldn't walk anywhere without someone tailing her like a bodyguard. Phoebe on her right, Hermione; her left, and Haya; behind her. The Kudo's, Rosewell's and Weasley's (plus Hermione) were packed and squeezed together. Walking in a form of a military march.

They hear urgent voices as they approach the spot where the Portkeys lay and, when they reached it, they found a great number of witches and wizards gathering around Basil, the keeper of the Portkeys, all clamouring to get away from the campsite as quickly as possible. Haruki had a hurried discussion with Basil; they joined the queue, and were able to take an old fuzzy bedroom slipper back to Tullon Hill (Hermione and Phoebe were forced to be dragged back to their respective parties). They walked back through the Tullon Road towards The Kudo Manor, talking very little because they were so exhausted, and thinking longingly of their breakfast. As they rounded the corner in the lane, and The Kudo Manor comes into view, a cry echoes along the damp lane.

"Master Kudo! Thank Merlin, oh, thank Merlin!"

Blim, their respective house-elf, who had evidently been waiting for them in the front yard, comes bouncing towards them as though she had spring tools for feet. She had dried tears leaking from her puffed eyes. She looked like she had returned from a funeral.

"Master Kudo —! Mistress! Miss Adler! Master Ambrocio —! Mistress Hamako!" She continues to bounce around them, a screwed-up copy of the Daily Prophet clutching in her hand, "Safe! The family is safe — not a scratch, thank Merlin!" She cries with joy.

She mindlessly launches herself to Y/n like a cannonball and flings her arms around her leg, and the Daily Prophet falls out of her limp hand onto the ground. Looking down, Y/n sees the headline: SCENES OF TERROR AT THE QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP, complete with a twinkling, black-and-white photograph of the Dark Mark over the tree tops. Blim suddenly grows pale and leaps off of her.