XIX: Second Chances & the Dementor's Kiss

He runs forwards, placing himself in front of Pettigrew, facing the wands, "You can't kill him," he says breathlessly, "you can't."

Y/n, Sirius and Lupin looks staggered.

"Harry, this little piece of shit is the reason you have no parents." snarls Y/n, shoving Pettigrew back onto the wooden floor carelessly, "This cringing bit of filth would have seen you die, too, without turning a hair. You heard him! His own stinking skin meant more to him than your whole family."

"I know, Adler," Harry pants, "we'll take him up to the castle. We'll hand him over to the Dementors. He can go to Azkaban . . . just don't kill him."

"Harry!" gasps Pettigrew, and he flings his arms weakly around Harry's knees, "You — thank you — it's more than I deserve — thank you — "

"Get off me," Harry spits out, throwing Pettigrew's hands off him in disgust, "I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing it because I don't reckon my dad would've wanted his best friends to become killers — just for you." he looks up at Y/n, his eyes finding a new found of respect since they had entered the Shrieking Shack, "And you . . . it all made sense . . . why you've been popping around and disappearing randomly . . . you were never a bad person. You were acting as you would for everyone . . . helping them, and I'd hate to see you in Azkaban for doing something right."

Y/n looks at him, he looks back, and her lips curls up to a small smile.

No one moves or makes a sound except Pettigrew, whose breath was coming in wheezes as he clutches his chest. Y/n, Sirius and Lupin were looking at each other. Then, with one movement, the men lower their wands.

"You're the only person who has the right to decide, Harry," says Sirius, "but think . . . think what he did."

"He can go to Azkaban," Harry repeats, "if anyone deserves that place, he does . . . "

Pettigrew was still wheezing behind him.

"Very well," says Lupin, "stand aside, Harry

"Very well," says Lupin, "stand aside, Harry."

Harry hesitates.

"Doubting again, Harry?" says Y/n, arching a brow.

"I'm going to tie him up," says Lupin, "that's all, I swear."

Harry steps out of the way. Thin cords shoots from Lupin's wand this time, and next moment, Pettigrew was wriggling on the floor, bounded and gagging.

"But if you transform, Pettigrew," growls Y/n, her own wand pointing at Pettigrew, too, "we will kill you. You alright with that, Harry?"

Y/n sees Harry looking down at the pitiful figure on the floor, and nods so that Pettigrew could see him.

"Right," says Lupin, suddenly business-like, "Ron, I can't mend bones nearly as well as Madam Pomfrey, so I think it's best if we just strap your leg up until we can get you to the Hospital wing."