Chapter 15

Aaliyah led me through a grove of trees, which led to a path surrounded by the most beautiful land I'd ever seen. The grass and the trees were pure green. There were flowers of all different colors all around, many of them surrounding a lovely stream of the bluest water I'd ever seen. The sunlight only made it all even more enchanting, as did all the colorful birds. There were nightingales, bluebirds, mockingbirds, and so many more. They were either nesting in the trees or flying around, but all of them were chirping and whistling in a way I'd never witnessed. They all seemed to be singing an actual tune, and all harmonizing with one another. I felt a sense of peace and serenity, and knew this was a truly enchanted forest.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Aaliyah remarked.

"Oh, it's magical, Precious. Everything is... magical." So speechless I was. I could not thinks of the right words to describes what I was seeing. Not at all, Precious. It was too beautiful for words.

"It's a hidden forest. Only I can access it, and anyone I choose to share it with. It's a safe haven. Look around more."

I did so, and I saw even more beauty. Even the rocks were colorful, and some even sparkled in the sunlight. "Wow," I sighed.

"You can take a rock if you want."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep, you can take souvenirs. Take as many as you want. You can even pick the flowers here. They never die. Nothing dies here, and the rocks and flowers you take just regenerate."

As I scanned the flowers and rocks, trying to decides which ones I wanted to takes home, I heard a dreadful sound. "What on Earth was that?!" I yelped as I turned my head just in time to see a baby bluebird hit the ground with full force. Horrified, I rushed over to see if it was injured. My heart broke seeing it lying on the ground, crying in pain, I picked it up carefully, and held it in my hands.

"What happened?" Aaliyah asked as she rushed over to inspect for injuries. "Oh, no," she said sadly, "she's got a broken wing."

"But... I thought you said—"

"Things don't die here, but like anywhere, they can still get hurt. I think she tried to fly before she was ready, and she fell out of her nest."

"Awwww, poor thing!" I cried. "What should we do, Precious?"

"We can take her home with us."

"We can?"

"Yeah. We can take care of her, until she's healed and ready to fly."

"Okay," I said sweetly as I looked at the injured bluebird in my hands. "Awwww, you poor thing. You wants to come home with us? We takes good care of you, yes."

The little bird curled up in my hands, sobbing in pain and fright.

"Awwww, don't be afraid, Precious. Sméagol won't hurts you." I stroked her broken wing gently, and she seemed to calm her sobs a bit. "It'll be alright, little one. Sméagol take good care of you. You're not alone." She curled up in my hands as I began to sing a gentle song to her.

Aaliyah and I walked home as I continued to nurture and serenade the poor little baby bird. When we arrived home again, we sat at the piano in the living room, writing down the words to my song, and composing lovely, soft accompaniment for it. The sweet little bird perked up a bit, and climbed up my arm to my shoulder. I giggled as her little birdy feet tickled me. She nuzzled up against my neck, and clinged onto me as if she was my baby. I gently stroked her, and she planted a little kiss on my cheek. Then, she climbed down my chest, and stood on the very top of my zipper. I giggled as I placed my hands underneath her, as I did not wants her to takes another nasty tumble.

"Awww, you likes my zipper, do you, Precious?" I said in a baby voice, still giggling.

She chirped at me, but her chirp sounded much more like a laugh.

I giggled again. "Awwww, you're a sweet little baby birdy, aren't you?"

She continued laughing as she leaned against my chest.

"Awwwwww, you're so cute. Sméagol loves you. Yes, he does. Very much Sméagol loves you, yes." I stroked her gently.

She chirped four times, but it almost sounded like she was saying, "I love you, too."

I gasped happily. "Awwwww, did I hear you say you loves me, too?"

She chirped once to indicate "yes."

"Awwwwwwwww!" I cried gleefully.

"Awww, isn't she sweet?" Aaliyah said. "All the birds from that forest are like that. They're very human-like. They understand you. They can talk to you. THey can even sing. I mean, most birds can sing, but these can actually sing tunes."

"I noticed, Precious. They all sings together."

"Yeah, like a chorus of birds."

I giggled again as she gently pecked at my zipper. "Awwww, she is a sweet little munchkin. She's an angel."

She continued to peck at and tap my zipper.

I burst into giggles. "Baby, that tickles!"

She laughed, too.

"Awwwwwwww! You're the sweetest little baby birdy Sméagol ever meets!"

She continued laughing and chirping as she climbed back up to my shoulder, tickling me, and making me giggle uncontrollably.