Chapter 23

Back home, the three of us sat together on the couch in the living room.

"So, what did you think of the forest?" Aaliyah asked Máiréad.

"It was amazing," Máiréad replied, still drying her tears. "I honestly didn't wanna leave."

Aaliyah smiled warmly. "Well, you can go back anytime you want."

"But, how?"

"I've granted you access to it, you and Sméagol both, and you can go there whenever you want. Once I take someone into the forest, they can go back in at any time by themselves."

"Good, because..." Máiréad sighed, "I honestly wish I could live there. I'd be away from all my tormentors, and I would be in a place where hate doesn't exist. I felt accepted there."

"You are accepted... and protected, and you know, you're safe here, too. This house is safe."

"But... they can still find me here."

"But, they can't come in unless I invite them in. Even if they trash the outside, they can't get to you when you're inside."

"But, what about when they throw rocks at the windows?"

"These windows don't break. The rocks would just bounce off, and they cant get into the backyard. They can't get passed the electric fence, and if they try to trash the outside, they'll get arrested. I have cameras set up." Aaliyah put her arm around Máiréad. "Believe me, Honey. You're perfectly safe here."

"Oh, thank God," she sighed.

Aaliyah and I wrapped her in a warm embrace.

"We takes care of you, Precious," I said calmly, kissing her cheek. "Nobody hurts you anymore."

Máiréad smiled. "Thanks, guys." Then, she changed the subject. "So, um... Aaliyah?"

"Yeah?" Aaliyah replied, giving Máiréad a warm smile.

"Are you allowed to tell people you're an angel?"

"Oh, yeah. I just choose not to, because it's hard to explain to people. And, a lot of people would think I'm nuts. I tell people whom I know won't think that, people who believe in angels, or people who need to know for one reason or another."

"How do you know who'll believe you?"

"I can see into people's hearts and souls. Being an angel grants you all knowledge. I mean, I don't know everything literally, not as much as God. I don't know what'll happen. I can't predict the future, but I know who everyone is I speak to. I know who I can trust with certain information, who I can't, and who would not understand or believe it."

"So, it's not like in those movies where you have to keep who you are a secret, or you can't do things you wanna do?"

"No, it's nothing like that. In fact, I can live as normal a life, if you can call it that, as I want. The Angel Council knows who they can trust, because like me, they have all knowledge. They didn't pile on all those ridiculous rules like in the movies and shows. They know I won't abuse my powers. They know I won't take advantage of the benefits they grant me. Otherwise, they wouldn't have let me live on Earth as a human angel."

"Um... if you don't mind me asking..." Máiréad said hesitantly, "what... happened? I mean, were you a regular human once?"

"I was."

"So... what happened? Unless you don't wanna talk about it–"

"No, I don't mind. It was cancer that killed me. Breast Cancer... Metastatic. It spread to my brain. They treated it with chemo, radiation, and a double mastectomy, but ultimately, there was nothing they could do. When I died, I told God and the Angel Council that I wanted to stay on Earth, because I felt I could better serve my purpose on Earth. They knew me. They trusted me, and they granted my wish. They also told me they wanted me to get a chance to do things I didn't get to do when I was alive. I can still make friends, eat food, sleep, and I can even get married. But, I have to marry someone whom I can tell this to. Well, actually, that last rule is my own, because if I do get married, I don't want there to be any secrets."

"Can you have babies?"

Aaliyah sighed. "Unfortunately, no, I can't get pregnant, but I can adopt. I honestly think the Angel Council would prefer that anyway. There's a lot of kids out there who need families."

"That's really cool. So... how can you afford what you buy?"

"I have an Angel Bank account. The Angel Council provides me with unlimited money, because they know I won't use it to buy stupid things. I have no desire to spend it on anything stupid, and they know that. I told you and Sméagol, because I know you guys won't take advantage of me, beg me to buy you stuff or give you endless money to squander on ridiculous things."

"Nope. I have no desire to buy stupid things, either."

Aaliyah smiled reassuringly. "I know."

"I'm really glad you trusted me with this."

"Me, too," I added."

"Of course," Aaliyah said happily. "You guys deserve to know the full truth. You deserve to know who you're sharing a home with. I wouldn't have invited you to stay here if I couldn't share all this with you."

Máiréad snuggled up with us both. "I love you guys," she said with a happy sigh.

"We love you, too, Honey," Aaliyah said, returning the hug, "and I love you both so much."

"Sméagol loves you both," I said as tears swelled in my eyes. "So very much, Precious."

We all laughed as we pulled each other into a group hug.