Chapter 26

The next day, Aaliyah and I had no plans, so I decided to take Máiréad on a real date, just the two of us. Since I was not yet able to drive a car, we stuck to places within walking distance. We stopped at a nearby Subway to pick up lunch to go. Then, we headed for the park for a nice picnic. We found an empty picnic table by the duck pond. We watched the children playing as we enjoyed our lunches.

"They look like they're having a lot of fun," Máiréad said, taking a bite of her meatball sub.

I smiled warmly as I saw a group of children chasing each other around the playground, laughing gleefully. "They sure do," I said happily as I took my first bite of my tuna fish sub.

"I used to come here all the time when I was a kid."

"Really?"

"Yeah. My mom brought me every Saturday when the weather was nice. She always made us a picnic lunch. Then, I'd spend hours and hours on the swings. It was sensory heaven, swinging back and forth, going higher and higher."

I looked over at the playground to see what she was talking about. There they were, the swings. There were small children in them, swinging so high, laughing and smiling, having the time of their lives.

"It was so much fun. I wish I could do it again."

"Why can't you, Precious?"

"I'm not a kid anymore. I'm all grown up. I'm sure if I tried to get on the swings, I'd get crucified."

"I don't think you would. So much fun it looks."

"It is fun, but... I don't wanna chance it. Besides, I'm happy just watching the kids having fun."

I grinned. "Me, too. They're so precious."

"Did you have swings back in Middle Earth?"

"No, no swings, but did not matters. Sméagol loved swimming and fishing instead."

"Swimming is fun. Fishing, not so much, not for me. I can never catch a fish to save my life."

I giggled. "Awww, that's alright."

"I'd watch you fish, though, if you ever wanted to go."

"Maybe someday. We can have a picnic then, too."

"Yeah, that would be great."

After lunch, we took a stroll around the park, and I noticed a baby duckling sitting all alone by the pond. "Awwww, look at that cute little ducky," I said.

"Yeah, he's really cute," Máiréad agreed.

"Why is he all by himself, though?" I took another look. "Awwww, he looks so sad. Poor thing." I slowly approached the little duckling. "Hello, little one." I knelt down by him as he turned to face me. "Awww, what's the matter, Baby?" The little ducky flew up, and jumped into my arms. "Oh!" I squeaked and giggled. The duckling nuzzled up against my chest, and pecked my zipper with its beak, making me giggle even more. "Awww, you likes my zipper? Hmmm. I don't knows why, but lots of animals seem to likes it. I looked into the duckling's eyes, and my heart broke. "Awww, why is it so sad?"

He quacked softly, but somehow, I could understand what he was telling me.

"You can't find your family? Do you know where they goes?"

The duck quacked again.

"Aww, well, let's see if we can finds them. Come." The poor duck became frightened as I stood up, but I gently stroked him to assure him everything would be alright. "It's alright, Baby," I said lovingly. "I won't hurts you, no. I wants to help. It'll be alright. Come. You're safe with me, little one." I wandered around the pond, looking for a family of ducks that would recognize him as one of their own. I hummed a soft lullaby to the frightened duckling as I carried him. I came across a family of ducks. "Are they your family, Precious?" I turned him around to see the family, and he immediately perked up. I gasped with joy. That's them?! Oh, we found them, Precious! There you are! Go on, Sweetie. Go be with your beautiful family."