Chapter 30

⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING, PRECIOUS!!! Bullying & Mention of Suicide ⚠️

One lovely afternoon, Máiréad and I were spending time at the Ashfolk Swimming Pool. We were playing in the water, and she was showing me a few tricks she could do, such as flips and handstands underwater.

"Oh, my!" I marveled at her ability to stand on one hand underwater for thirty seconds without losing her balance. "Very good, Precious!"

"Thanks!" she laughed. "I taught myself how to do that when I was, like, thirteen."

"That's incredible!"

She laughed again just as someone announced over the intercom that our lunch was ready. We rushed out of the pool to pick it up at the snackbar, and brought it back to our table.

"How's your burger?" Máiréad asked.

"Oh, quite delicious!" I replied. "And, the fries are rather tasty, too."

"Yeah, I love seasoned curly fries. Probably my favorite kind of French fry."

I grinned as I popped a fry into my mouth. I nodded in agreement as I chewed it. "I can understands why."

"I remember when my mom used to bring me here when I was a kid, and we'd have lunch or dinner together. I always loved hanging out with her, just her, and being able to forget about the abuse at home from Dad. Just for those few hours, I felt so carefree and happy."

"Awww, your mother sounds like such a sweetheart."

"She's the best. I can't wait for you to meet her someday. She's really happy that I found a safe place to live now, and that I found good people."

"I can't wait to meets her, too, Precious. I'm sure she–"

Just then, we heard a loud scream, a splash, and laughter that did not sound at all gleeful, but rather like mocking. I turned my gaze towards the deep end of the pool, and saw a group of teenagers standing on the edge of the pool deck, laughing at and mocking a young girl who was thrashing around in the water, struggling to stay afloat. I quickly glanced over at the lifeguard, who was laughing along with the other children.

"I'll be right back," I said as I ran towards the deep end, and jumped in to rescue the poor girl. I dove underwater, grabbed her hand, and pulled her towards the surface. She began coughing and gasping for air. "It's alright, Sweetie," I said calmly. "You're alright."

Her coughing and gasping stopped, and she was able to catch her breath. She looked at my face, became frightened, and pulled away from me.

"No, no! Sweetie!" I called after her as I swam towards her. "It's alright," I said lovingly. "I won't hurts you." I looked her in the eyes, and smiled warmly at her. "I promise. I'm here to helps you."

She took another look at me, and the fear in her eyes subsided, but hearing the laughter, her fear was replaced with sadness and shame.

"Are you alright, Sweetheart?"

She did not answer. Poor thing was too humiliated and on the verge of tears.

"Hey!" one teenage boy shouted. "Why didn't you drown?!"

"Yeah, you could've killed yourself, so you could be with your loser mother!" a teenage girl chimed in.

"Yeah, and spare us the misery of having to look at your ugly face everyday!" another girl added.

A New Preciousजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें