| 0 |

𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 | How to hide a god's secret love child; a guide by Layla Tribulatio

THERE wasn't much that truly scared Layla Tribulatio. Ever since she was seven, she had become used to seeing monsters walk past her on the streets, to hear things go bump in the night and watch humans walk down alleyways only to never walk back out again.

But, this was different. This was scary.

Her mother was out, on a date with someone that she had met online, and Layla had been left home in the care of her aunt, along with her younger cousin. 

It had been a fun night as her auntie had let her stay up to watch the TV, allowing her to look at the cartoons as well as eat popcorn and a variety of other sweet treats that her mum would never allow.

Then, in a firm tone, she had told the ten year old that it was time for bed and Layla had reluctantly agreed, stomping up the stairs and pulling herself into her bed, clutching onto her stuffed animals tightly. 

"Night night, Layla," Her aunt pushed her hair back, pressing a kiss to her head and switching the night light on. She had smiled softly, before closing the door behind her and stepping out.

Layla had fell asleep soon afterwards but she was awoken later that night. Normally, she woke when her mum was home, but there were no footsteps downstairs. A bell chimed and Layla counted the number, before trying to roll over and go back to sleep. But something was off, the house was too silent.

Opening the door to her room took a little bit of work, but Layla managed. The hallway outside was quiet, the carpets muffling Layla's footfall as she padded along the corridor to the nearest window. Pushing herself up onto her tip toes, she glanced out the window, looking out to the driveway, but her mother's car wasn't back.

"Hmm," She hummed, before turning away and heading back to her room. She had almost reached the door when something creaked, and Layla turned around.

At the end of the corridor, the last door swung open and closed like a pendulum on a clock. There was a light on inside, and Layla's eyes widened, for that was her cousin's room. Dara was only a baby, at around six months old according to her mother, so was not able to protect herself.

Rushing forward, Layla pushed the door open to her cousin's room, shivering at the cold winter's breeze that blew in from the open windows.

"Dara, Dara," Layla muttered, looking down at her cousin who was giggling in the crib. Her arms were free, waving around as she tried to grab onto her feet. "Aren't you cold?"

Dara gurgled again, grabbing her toes and pulling at her babygrow.

"Auntie!" Layla called through the house, knowing that she couldn't reach the window. "Auntie, the window's open in Dara's room. Can you close it?"