Boundaries

A/N Hi there! This chapter is way longer than the others, mostly because I didn't know when to stop it.
So, grab a snack or drink and get comfy.
Let me know know how it is! See you soon! xx

⚠ SMUT ALERT ⚠

***************

The big chaotic Manhattan still keeps Helen amazed.
Even after two years, it is still something she hasn't fully absorbed.
It's a love-hate relationship, like most of the people who live here.
She absolutely loves the number of things she can do, long walks and the unbelievable amount of people you can meet.
But she hates the noise and the rush.
And Manhattan is definitely noisy and rushed.

Helen sits at a table outside Primo, an Italian restaurant she discovered almost a year ago.
She started trying a lot of new things, and Italian cuisine was one of her favorite.
She ordered an iced tea while waiting for Bucky, who was late.

A hand covered her eyes, making her wince.
A familiar scent of wood perfume hits her nostrils, and she relaxes.
"You're late, Barnes." Helen accuses playfully.
Bucky removes his hand from her eyes and rolls his eyes, leaving a kiss on her head.
"Yeah, I know, " he huffs, sitting next to her.
"I'm sorry, I got distracted while reading and didn't notice the time." He explains, taking a sip from Helen's tea.
"What are you reading?" She asks, taking back her drink.

Bucky reaches for his pocket and grabs a rolled book, tossing it on the table.
"God, this poor book," Helen sighs, looking at the book's conditions.
Bucky smirks. He loves how Helen takes care of everything, even a book.
She can't stand how he treats his books, but he likes how they look more lived.

"What is it?" Helen furrows, unable to translate the Cyrillic letters printed on the cover.
"Demons, it's Dostoevskij." He says simply, taking back the book, turning a few pages.
He gets to a page with a folded corner and starts reading out loud.

Helen looks at him, smiling. He has always loved reading. She can't understand why he never believed her when she said to him how smart he was.
He finishes reading and starts to translate, "I do not wish you much happiness," he begins, looking up to see if she was still paying attention, "it would bore you. I do not wish you trouble either, but following the people's philosophy, I will simply repeat: 'Live more' and try somehow not to be too bored." He repeats, closing his book.
Helen leans back in her seat, "It seems a nice book." She observes, noticing Bucky smiling a little.
Bucky used to read a lot when he was younger, but he never really shared his passion with someone.

"How is it going, Bucky? I haven't seen you much in the past few weeks." Helen asks, looking at him putting away the book.
He shrugs, shifting in his seat.
"I've been working with Fury," he says, not sure if he wants to tell her about his sessions.
"I'm staying at Steve's place, but I'd like to have my own place. But is not like I can really apply for any job." he frowns, remembering how frustrated he was when they told him he couldn't even have his own bank account.
Luckily when he was with Hydra, he had some offshore accounts to rely on, but right now, spending more than ten dollars would put him under the government spotlight.

"It's not going to be like this forever, you know that." Helen tries to reassure him.
Bucky nods, playing with a string coming off his jacket.
"I also started these sessions with a therapist," he says, looking down.
Helen stays silent, waiting for him to continue.
"I have to... it's pretty mandatory." He huffs.

"Well, I think it's a good thing. You went through a lot, Bucky. If they can help you get better, I don't see the problem." Bucky nods, aware that what Helen said is true.
"I just don't like a stranger knowing my shit." He grumbles, making Helen chuckle.
"I know, but there are going to help you. When did you start?" She asks. Bucky breath hitches, "three weeks ago." he mutters.