Silence

The cozy waiting room where Bucky and Helen are sitting is silent.
They're sitting on two leather armchairs, next to each other, facing the door of Bucky's therapist.
"Are you sure the appointment was now?" Helen whispers for the second time in two minutes.
"Like I just told you a minute ago, yes. I am sure." Bucky huffs, sinking in his seat and spreading his legs.
"So are we early? Or is she late?" Helen pesters, flipping through the pages of a car magazine.

Bucky looks at his watch, "We are not early," he sighs.
"Maybe we should just go home." She states, putting away the magazine.
"Move your ass from that chair, and I'll start scream." He deadpans, looking at her dead in the eyes.
"You ain't got the nerve," Helen dares, suddenly amused.
She slowly rises from her seat but gets back when she hears the door open.
"Sorry for the waiting. I'm ready to see you." A woman in her fifty announces, standing on the door.

Bucky stands up and drags his feet in the room, preparing himself to ninety minutes closed in a room with someone he can't lie to and someone else who will call him out if he even tries.
I've never felt so stressed around two chicks.
He thinks, sighing.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Helen. I'm doctor Ann Cohen." She introduces herself, sticking her hand out.
Helen shakes her hand, "My pleasure."
Ann waits for them to sit on the couch and sits on her chair.
"So, James told me you wanted to join us. I don't usually do that, but I'm aware that your situation is quite... unique." Ann starts, grabbing her pad and pen.
"I told you I shouldn't have come," Helen mutters, tilting her head to Bucky.
"That's not what she meant." He whispers back.
"Well, she said that's not how she works." Helen retorts, looking at him letting out a heavy sigh.
"Can you let her do her work?" he requests, rolling his eyes.

"Uhm, guys?" Ann intrudes, lifting her head.
Bucky and Helen stop talking and look down, "Helen, it's okay. We can totally make this work if you want." She informs, noticing Helen being reluctant.
Helen nods, shifting in her seat.
"So, what brings you here?" Ann starts to ask, looking at the two sitting on the couch.
She waits for an answer, but none of them wants to start.

"I guess there must be some kind of issues if you're both here today. Is that specifically related to one of you two?" Helen sighs, starting to look for her words.
"A month ago, I got kidnapped while I was working. I had some trouble readjusting, and my friends are worried." Helen discloses, catching Ann off guard, but she's able to masks it.
"You don't think they should?" she inquires after writing down something on her pad.
"I think it's not that a big of a deal." Bucky huffs, shaking his head.
"What do you think, James?" Ann asks, noticing his mood changing.
"Don't start again. We talked about that." He seethes, looking at Helen.
"James?" Ann calls, getting his attention back.
Bucky sighs. If he starts speaking his mind, Helen will get mad at him.

"I worry about you," he says, looking at her, "and if you can't see it, I can't pretend to not see it too."
Helen's body tenses, sensing what he's about to do.
"She can't sleep and dissociate out of nowhere," he starts, but Helen interjects, "Bucky!"
"And I'm pretty sure she lose weight." He hums, keeping his head down.
Helen leans with her back on the couch, frustrated.

"Alright, I think we should slow down a little," Ann chime in, noticing that they're both about to shut down.
"Helen, James told me you're a scientist. Is this what you've always done?" she asks, getting a nod back from Helen.
"I also know you arrived here from... far. Is that right?"
Helen nods again, keeping looking away.
"How was readjusting to a whole different world?" Helen looks at her, sighing.
"Weird, it looked like a false. It still does sometimes." Helen confesses.
"And what helped you to get more used to it?" She thinks about it for a few seconds before answering, "My friends."
She bites her inner cheek and looks at Bucky, "and you." she mutters as his glance softens.