The End Of The Line

A/N It's here, the last chapter.
I can't believe it, and I'm so excited.
Just a few things before I let you read it.
First, tomorrow I'm uploading an epilogue, so that we can say a proper goodbye to Bucky and Helen.
Second, there's going to be a letter in this chapter, and I suggest to read it while listening to "Saturn" by sleeping at the last.
Enjoy!

********

The sound of the rain hitting the ground puts Bucky in a sort of trance, helping his mind to wander around.
It has been forty-nine hours since they got in DC, and the mood isn't of the most relaxed.
He and Steve sit in a cafe inside SHIELD headquarters, caps covering their faces while they wait.
Alexander Pierce, the World Security Council Secretary, arrived early in the morning for a meeting.
Right now, he's inside, with Fury and other members of the council.
"Something is happening. We have to proceed with the plan now." Sam's voice echoes into their earpieces.
Bucky and Steve glance at each other, leaving their position and walking into the building.
"Sam, what do you see?" Steve asks, waiting for an answer.
"Gunshot! Guys, there is a group of five men coming towards you." Sam shouts, flying around the building.
Steve signs with his hand to split. He takes the stairs while Bucky takes the elevator.
"Tony, what's going on?" Steve whispers, hiding behind a wall.
"Got into a disagreement with some gentlemen," Tony groans, and Steve hears a gunshot. "Get to Fury. I got this." He states, closing the communication.

Bucky gets to the last floor and crouches behind a desk.
"All this effort, and for what? You can't save the world without a compromise." Pierce utters with a mocking tone, to Fury who's lying on the floor bleeding out.
Bucky's stomach twists as the voice he just heard sends shivers down his spine.
He stands up and walks inside the room, aiming his gun.
"Oh, look who's there." Pierce grins, looking at Bucky.
Two men have shot on him, but he isn't worried about that.
"The winter soldier." Pierce drawls, stepping closer.
Bucky removes the safety, fixing his eyes in his.
"Let them go," he seethes, nodding at the members of the council.
Pierce chuckles, shaking his head. "Since when you're the one giving orders?" he mocks, and nod one of his man who starts saying Bucky's trigger words. 

Bucky squeezes his eyes, trying to keep his focus.
He inhales deeply, stopping his hands from shaking.
It's an instant, and the man falls on the floor dead, a string of smoke coming out of the barrel.
"Want to try something else?" He asks, clenching his jaw.
"Put down the gun." Steve orders behind his back.
He's holding his shield against his chest, blood dripping from his cheekbone.
Pierce's expression changes, aware that he has no way out.
He takes his phone and sighs. "See, Nick, the difference between you and me is that I'm ready to do what it takes. You, with your pretentious diplomacy, won't save the world." He hisses, and a timer appears on the glass screen in the middle of the room.
"What is that?" Bucky inquires, looking at Steve.
"The last act, the last chapter of a badly written novel. What the world needs to heal." Pierce snarls, and the countdown keeps going.

"Steve, take these people out of there," Bucky says, keeping his eyes on Pierce, "I take care of him." 
"I'm not leaving you here," Steve argues, walking towards Pierce, but his guards immediately aim their guns at him.
"You don't have a choice. We are all going to die if you don't get out." Bucky utters, "That's it, pal. The end of the line." He says with a faint smile.
Steve looks at him, feeling a lump in his throat, and walks to Fury. He helps him to stand up and leaves the room with the other hostages.
"It's over, son of a bitch." Bucky shots at the other guards and drops his gun, now empty.
His fist meets Pierce's jaw, and he stumbles back, falling on the floor.
He keeps hitting him as memories of what he made him do flood his mind.
When he snaps out of his rage, his hands are covered in blood, and Pierce is still under his body.