Part 6 : Harry's Kinda Tired

Harry glanced up for the lesson plans he was making for the next few weeks, calling out a come in to whoever that knocked on his classroom door.

Druella poked her head into Harry's classroom, smiling brightly when she saw her favorite cousin sitting at his desk.

"Congrats on being the most favored professor in Hogwarts, cousin René," Druella teased, closing the door behind her.

Harry mock groaned, putting down his quill as Druella came around his desk to hug him.

"What rumors are floating around now?" Harry mumbled, smiling at his younger cousin as they parted.

"Not rumors, just facts," Druella chirped, plopping down (gracefully, of course) on the student desk closest to Harry's bigger desk, crossing her feet and swinging her legs slowly.

"Facts about. . .?" Harry drawled, picking up his quill again.

"Your teaching style, dark and light arts knowledge, gorgeous looks, the works."

Harry's eyebrows lifted. "My looks? Everyone does know that teacher-student relationships are strictly prohibited, yes?"

Druella drew a hand up to her mouth, laughing slightly. "Doesn't stop anyone from planning on flirting with the youngest professor Hogwarts has to offer, who happens to be a bachelor."

"I hope you aren't encouraging any of that, Druella," Harry said, half stern half teasing, his jade eyes narrowed.

"You'd kill me if I did, cousin," Druella sighed out, climbing down from the student desk she was seated on. "Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. It's been a while."

"See you tomorrow," Harry called as Druella exited the classroom as fast as she came, the girl waving goodbye quickly before shutting his door.

Harry refocused on his lesson planning to only be startled again by another knock on his door. Did these kids have nothing to do during the night? It was the first day of school for Merlin's sake!

"Come in," Harry called, refraining from sighing as he set down his quill once more. To his surprise, it was Tom Riddle that walked into his classroom, the younger nodding a polite greeting.

"What can I help you with, Tom," Harry asked, leaning his elbows on his desk and smiling politely.

"I was hoping that you could provide me some guidance on learning more about Alchemy, considering that Professor Dumbledore was too busy to answer my questions about it earlier today," Tom said light-heartedly, wondering if the young professor would pick up on the subtitles of what he was trying to say. After all, he couldn't come off as a whining snitch that came running when wronged. No, that was a low that Tom would never reach.

"Professor Dumbledore turned you away?" Harry questioned, his eyes sharpening and his shoulders tensing. He just saw a Ravenclaw, earlier that day, approach Dumbledore about the topic, and they hadn't been turned away.

"Yes, Professor Rosier."

Harry's lips pressed together in a thin line. He hated the bias Albus Dumbledore had towards Slytherins---Tom in particular. It was simply outrageous, as Tom had done nothing wrong (yet) that would warner suspicion. Tom had not tumbled into the deep-end yet, even though his nature was a tad too cruel from being raised in an oppressive orphanage. Speaking of the orphanage. . .

"I'll speak to Dumbledore, Mr. Riddle. I'm afraid I don't have much in-depth knowledge about alchemy. I had not spent much time on the topic, but the first book I did read on it was The Elements of Alchemy. I forgot who wrote it, but I believe it's on my bookshelf now if you'd like to read it," Harry stood up and motioned over to the bookshelf resting on the wall to his right.

"If you don't mind, Professor," Tom nodded, watching Harry quickly scan his bookshelf before plucking a book off of the lowest shelf. Tom's eyes totally did not eye the arch of his back, nor his ass. Nope, not Tom. No way.

Book in hand, Harry walked over to Tom, his brow slightly furrowed. "Here you are, Mr. Riddle. I expect this will remain between us?"

Tom nodded, trying not to show how his ego flared at the thought of being the thought of being the only one to---

"Good, the book is considered dark in this time, and hell may be rained upon me of people knew I lent it to a minor student," Harry laughed, scratching the back of his neck.

Oh. Tom's ego deflated back to its original size, and he tried not to feel disappointed.

"If I may ask, Professor, why would you give it to me, knowing the risk?"

"You don't have to be so formal with me, Mr. Riddle," Harry commented, smiling in a way that showed off his dimples. "I gave you the book because I know that you'll be able to handle it. You're top of your year, Head-Boy despite the bias against Slytherin, and a dedicated student, from what I heard from my colleagues. I have complete faith that that you have the intellectual prowess to understand the book's content. If something is unclear, however, don't be afraid to come talk to me. I won't think of you any less. Have a good night, Mr. Riddle."

Tom bid Harry good-night, a bit sour at the speedy dismissal. There was one thing that Tom knew for sure, though.

He was going to read The Elements of Alchemy and understand it all, just because he could.

Once Harry was finally alone, he sagged in his desk chair, quickly casting a Tempus. It was four hours until midnight, and he still had to do lesson plans for the 7th years' next 3 weeks. Everything else was done except for that, but to his dismay, he ended up falling asleep on his desk. He knew he fell asleep when he started dreaming of his late grandmother, Arielle Rosier.

¤¤¤¤¤

"Do you know why I named you René, my dear?"

Two-year-old Harry shook his head, eyes locked with his grandmother's.

"I sense an old, wise soul in you, René. Along with the fact that your mind is much too developed for an average toddler. But don't worry, this will remain between me and you."

"Okay!"

¤¤¤¤¤

"You know that I love you with all my heart, René?"

"Yes, Granma Arielle."

". . ."

"What, are you not going to say you love me back?"

"I love you!"

"Pfft. Cheeky brat."

¤¤¤¤¤

"Granma."

"Yes René."

"Am I going to see you tomorrow?"

"Of course you will. Why?"

"I have this weird feeling that I won't see you for a while."

"Only Fate knows, my dear."

¤¤¤¤¤

"Mamá, how come we can't see Granma Arielle today?"

"Grandma Arielle took a journey to heaven, my love. We'll have to wait a while to see her again.

"Oh."