13.

JJ and I didn't speak the rest of the walk home. I think he just wanted to give me space. He had a busted lip to match mine from Rafe. Mine was healing up well but still felt weird. John B and the others tried to ask what happened but he just walked past them.

"What happened?" John B pointed to JJ as he went into my bedroom, shutting the door.

"Rafe. He attacked us."

"Are you okay?" He walked past me, pulling hair from my face.

"Yeah, he didn't touch me. Him and Ward just ran their mouths at me, but then Rafe said some things about JJ and he freaked."

"So, JJ started another fight?" A sigh escaped his lips.

"No, Rafe started it. He pushed him, and said he was just like his dad."

I heard his breath hitch and he shook his head.

"I've about had it with the Cameron's."

"Me too. Rafe tried to confess his feelings for me the other day. He got pissed when I rejected him."

"He what?"

"We used to be best friends when I lived in the Figure Eight. But we drifted apart after I started basically living here and he told me that I'm gonna end up dead being with you guys all the time."

"You're not going to end up dead with us. I hope you know that."

"Of course I do. But I feel like something bad is going to happen with Rafe, especially after tonight. He probably thinks that I'm with JJ, I don't want anything bad happening to you guys, especially him."

I could just see his whole expression change. Like a sixth grader hearing that a upperclassmen thought he was cute.

"John B, don't even."

"Well, you know what I'm going to say. So, go for it already! He protected you tonight, he went with you even after you declined me coming with. He literally screamed at me after you left and chased after you. He cares a lot about you, more than anyone I've ever seen."

"Yeah yeah. That's just him."

"No, that's not him at all. I've never seen him this way. Like ever."

"Okay, John B. I'm going to bed! Night!"

"Night!" He just winks as I go down the hallway.

I stuck my tongue out at him and knocked on the door before entering.

"Mhm?" I heard him clear his throat on the other side of the door.

"You decent?"

"Am I decent? Yes, I always am. Especially for you, baby." He chuckled as I opened the door.

"J, how do you even have the energy for this right now?"

"I always have the energy for you." He was counting out the money that I had brought.

I saw that he had unpacked my bags, putting some things around the room. It was roomy already. I spotted the picture of us on my nightstand. He had even folded up my clothes and put them into my dresser.

"Simp." I coughed.

"What?"

"You're suddenly an interior designer?"

"I just thought I could help you out, is all. Is it bad?"

"No, no. It's perfect." I sat on the bed, crossing my legs.

He was laying back, his cap still on. It was backwards as it always was.

"You're perfect." He almost mumbles.

"No, I'm far from it."

"Shut up, ruining the moment." He sat up slowly, reaching his hand out.

His hand ran over my cheek, wiping his thumb over my soft skin.

"JJ, what are you doing?"

"Your skins just soft, okay?" He mocked me.

"Really? Reusing my jokes? What happened to you always have a joke for everything?"

"I don't wanna joke around right now."

"What do you want to do?"

"This." He pulls himself into me, placing his lips on mine.

I felt his warm lips move against mine, slowly and delicately. It took me by surprise and I flinched, but once he put his other hand on the side of my face, I pulled myself into him. I let my arms rest over his shoulders, reaching for his hair. I always had a fascination for it, it was just as soft as I imagined it. I let my fingers tug it softly and he breathed heavily into the kiss. Was I making him- Oh god.

He started to move over me, making me lay flat on the bed. His lips moved from mine to my cheek, to my neck, and slowly to my chest.

"JJ." I let out softly.

"Darling, you're so pretty it hurts." He said in between love bites.

"Are you- sure about this?" I said shakily in between breaths.

"I'm as sure as I'll ever be. Are you okay?" He stops, pushing hair from my face, to hold my cheek once again.

"I'm fine, but maybe we should stop."

"Okay. God, I'm such an idiot." He turned away from me, his head in his hands.

"JJ, no. This was- this was perfect. This was more than fine. I just don't want to move too fast, is that okay?"

He lifts his head up and nods, looking from my eyes back down to my lips.

"I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't be sorry. I've been waiting for this for a long time." I placed my hand over his.

"Really?" His whole body lifted, a smile appearing across his face.

"Yeah, I just thought it was never going to happen. I've never seen you like this before. Crazy to think JJ Maybank is capable of liking someone like me."

"What are you talking about? You're beautiful."

I felt my face get red hot.

"I guess it's just I didn't expect you to be the type to have feelings for someone." I scratched the back of my neck.

"Yeah, I guess so. I would've never thought either. I've been wanting to tell you for a long time."

"I'm glad you did." I ran my fingers over his knuckles and the cold rings that were over them.

"Hey, Rach?"

"Yeah."

"Can I kiss you again?" His fingers run over my face, the rings pushing into my cheek.

"Please."

He smiled, leaning back into me. His lips laid across mine again, and we both fell back into the sheets.