Best Seller

»»————- ♥ ————-««

»»————- ♥ ————-««

BEST SELLER

London, England, November 2000

I used to stand outside Blackwell's bookshop in Charing Cross when I first moved to London, after the trauma and flare of the nineties died down. I would watch all of the authors chatter away about their bestsellers and answer questions from crazed fans and highly intelligent individuals who took the world of make-believe way too seriously. It was like a treat, or more like an encouragement to get a move on with my book.

The story was good, great even, and I knew it was destined for success, but what I didn't know was that it would sweep through Europe on the bestsellers list. Now, like all those other incredible authors, I am sitting in the middle of Blackwell's doing this interview, hundreds of thousands of pounds richer.

I giggle as the interviewer across from me slaps a hand over his mouth, eyes darting between the audience and me. Having just shared some revealing details about my book, I now brace for the inevitable flood of questions

Excited chatter erupts in the room, the crowd swaying as if unseen hands guide them, shifting their gaze from me to the book in their hands, then to their friends in awe. Predictably, they respond, each harboring a goal for the day — to coax the truth from me.

"What's the other ending like then?

"Will you ever publish it?"

"I don't think I'll be able to breathe until I get my hands on that copy!"

"She ends up with Jimin, I just know it!"

I cover my mouth to conceal my laughter.

"As amazing as the alternate ending is, this one's from the heart, guys." That was all the information I was willing to give away. "Come on now, ask me things about the actual published book. I'm sure you've all got some juicy questions!"

"Who wants to go first?" the host calls, sparking an immediate war. In a mere half-second, a flurry of arms shoots into the air, swaying and swatting as if their question being unanswered would trigger the end of the world.

"Can I choose, Mr Host?" I wiggle in my chair excitedly, scanning the audience for my first pick.

He nods, motioning for me to go ahead, yet at first, no one stands out. They're all just giggly teenage girls who appear as if their entire lives revolve around other people's stories, not their own.

"Hm," I hum, "how about you over there with the red hair? You remind me somewhat of my main character."

She squeals to her friend, almost fighting the row of people sitting next to her to get to the microphone.

"Hello, hi, I love your work so much!"

"Thank you, darling!"

"Okay so I've gotta ask, what's the future like for Satine and Taehyung now that they're reunited?"