Dimileth Week 2021 1/4

A/N: Hi, uh, it's been a while since I posted in this. I apologize. I've been working on my main story a lot plus these short stories haven't been giving much inspiration as of late or I can't bring myself to finish the ones I started. Anyways, to help, I give you 4 Dimileth week pieces! I chose 4 because 7 is too much and the last 2 theme weeks clearly prove that I am unable to do all 7. Enough introduction, let's get to it! First prompt is (fittingly) First Kiss! 

Summary: When she sees a broken and vulnerable Dimitri standing in front of her in the rain, Byleth wants nothing more than to help him. One simple action to show that she cares, and it's not just reaching out her hand.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Rain was pouring all around them at the Monastery stables. While Byleth would have much preferred to be inside before the thunderstorm ramps up, those desires pale in comparison of what she needs to do. In front of her stood Dimitri, who after spending the past moons focused on nothing but revenge and killing Edelgard, finally broke and questioned his resolve in killing all for the name of those who died.

"You seem to have all the answers Byleth." Dimitri told her. "So tell me, how do I silence their desperate pleas? How do I... how do I save them?" His voice became more and more shaky as he continued on. "Ever since that day nine years ago, I've only lived to avenge the fallen.

"Even my time at the Officers Academy was all so that I can secure my revenge and clear away the regret of the dead. It was one of the only things that kept me alive... Nearly my only reason to keep moving forward."

The last few words got to Byleth. Only one of? What was the other reason? Back 5 years ago after the Remire Village incident, it seemed clear that revenge was the thing keeping him going.

After a brief silence, Byleth took a deep breath. "You've suffered enough Dimitri. You must forgive yourself." She said and stepped a little closer.

"But then... who or what should I live for?"

Byleth remembered some of the final words of Lord Rodrigue. About how your life is yours to live. "Live for what you believe in." Byleth answered.

"What I believe in? Rodrigue said the same thing. But is it possible?" Dimitri looked down at his hands. "I am a murderous monster, my hands are stained red. Could one such as I truly hope for such a life?" He looked back up at Byleth. "As the sole survivor of that day, do I... do I have the right to live for myself?"

Byleth barely knew what to say. She was never good with words. She desperately wanted to help Dimitri, but she was so worried about saying the wrong thing and screw everything up again. However, her actions could tell a different story.

Just like the day they reunited at the Goddess Tower, Byleth reached out her hand. Dimitri reluctantly took it and Byleth caressed the side of his face. Dimitri put his other hand on Byleth's wrist and held onto her hand.

"Your hands are so warm... have they always been?" Was all he said. Byleth used her other arm to pull Dimitri into an embrace.

"Everything will be alright. I promise." She said. "I will be here for you. Always."

Dimitri's face was so close to Byleth's. Seeing the mix of sadness, relief, regret, vulnerability, and sorrow made Byleth's heart break. Before Dimitri could respond, Byleth did the one thing that came to her mind. She leaned in, and gently planted her lips onto Dimitri's. After a few moments, she slowly pulled away.

The two still stood alone in the rain, locked in their embrace. While neither said a word, they both knew exactly what they were thinking. 

—————————————————————————-————————————————————

A little on the shorter side but that's ok. Hope y'all enjoyed and have a great day :)

~The Artist Sylveon 🌸