Story 2: Beauty and the Boar, Part 3: Tale as Old As Time

———————————————————————————————————————-

Back at the castle, Byleth was trying her best to help clean the Beasts wounds, however, it wasnt working since the Beast constantly moved around due to the pain. "That hurts!" He roared.

"Well if you stood still it wouldn't hurt as much." Byleth replied calmly.

"If you haven't run away this wouldn't be happening!"

"Well if you didn't frighten me, I wouldn't have run away!

"Well you shouldn't have been in the West Wing!"

"And you should learn to control your temper!"

The Beast didn't argue back. There was no point in arguing any more. Byleth was finished tending to his wounds. "Um, try to to get some rest." She said.

"We are eternally grateful." Sylvain said.

"I don't understand. Why are you guys so nice to him?" Byleth answered.

"We were friends with him for a long time, he wasn't always like this. He's not as terrible as he appears." Mercedes said.

"It all started about 9 years ago. After his family was murdered, he had nothing but hatred in his heart for those who did it." Mr. Dedue added. "You shouldn't worry about it at the moment."

"Oh.." Byleth said. She didn't know why, but she could tell that they were right about the Beast not being as bad as he seemed. Sure, if you asked her that question a few hours ago, she would totally deny it, but after seeing him go after the wolves for her and the look in his eyes before he passed out, Byleth could tell there was something more. "I want to help break this curse."

"Well, there is one way-" Sylvain began but got whacked by Ingrid.

"You don't have to. You've already done so much for us." Ingrid said.

"I'm being serious, I want to help." Byleth countered.

"All it takes is-" Sylvain tried again but once again was whacked by Ingrid. If coat hangers could stare, then Ingrid would be staring daggers to Sylvain.

"We have to let it happen on its own." Mercedes mouthed.

Byleth noticed the rose from before. It had a few petals left and most of them had fallen. It had to have played a role in the curse. Why else would the Beast be so overprotective of it? "What happens when the last petal falls?" Byleth asked.

"The boar stays like that forever." Felix scoffed.

"And we become like this forever." Sylvain added.

"Well, if you guys need my help, just ask." Byleth said before exiting the room. The next day, Byleth went to check on the Beast along with the enchanted objects. He was still asleep. She made sure he didn't have a fever and changed the bandages to fresh ones. He still wasn't awake by the time she was done. Byleth at least wanted to be nice and stay until he has woken up. She sat down on a chair she located in the mess of the room and took out a book she found in her room and started to read, occasionally looking up from time to time to check on the Beast.

But Byleth got a little too lost in her book. She didn't realize that she hadn't put it down since she started it and was already halfway through by the time she noticed someone staring at her. She never noticed that the Beast sat up in his bed and was staring at her. But, when she looked up, she was slightly started.