Chapter Two - The Plan

Payal stared at Khushi, her eyes and mouth wide open, whilst the latter looked at her with round, expectant and excited eyes.

“So?” Khushi urged her and when she didn’t reply, hit her on the arm. “Hey, where are you lost? I asked, what do you think about this?”

Payal shook her head, her mouth still hung low as she said, “You’re asking me what I think about this, this plan of yours? Well Khushi, give me a few more minutes, I kind off did not yet finish calculating the many places where it can go horribly wrong!”

Khushi rolled her eyes and made an attempt to hold her friend’s hands but Payal finally managed to shake off her shock. With sigh of mixed exasperation and disbelief, she stood up.

“No, no Khushi, of course no!” She exclaimed, going almost frantic, her hands flaring by her side. Khushi dodged a slap as she stood up from the sofa, but Payal stopped her before she could say anything, her eyes serious. “No Khushi, you listen to me now. There is no way I can allow you to do this. It’s much too dangerous and risky.”

“Payal, what’s dangerous about this, for God's sake?” Khushi asked, slightly irritated at the way Payal’s pessimism was beginning to affect her spirit too. “It’s not like he’s some sort of criminal or serial killer that I’m going to get myself killed.”

“You don’t know that!” Payal argued, “No one knows anything about this man except for the fact that he’s super rich and owns a multinational company. He could well be a psychopath for all you know, and what you’re saying is that you will make an unauthorised entry into his house, his house, Khushi! You could get into so much trouble if it goes wrong, and trust me it will go wrong! You don’t know this man; how could you even think he will be ready to give you his interview when renowned news channels failed to get it? What if he gets you arrested, huh? How would that look on your next job application?” She finished, breathing heavily. Clutching her chest, she sat herself back down and tried to calm her nerves.

There was a moment of silence, before Khushi said in a tone of whisper, “Payal, you told me to prove myself to Mr. Sharma. To try and find a solution to my problem.”

“But this is not a solution, Khushi.” Payal countered. She took Khushi’s hand and pulled her down so she sits right in front of her. Her eyes softened at the desperate look on Khushi’s face and she went on explaining, her voice soft and slow, “If you do this, you’ll only land in more trouble. You have to realise that access itself will be impossible. It’s too risky, too tricky--”

“But that’s it!” Khushi intervened, keen to make her point clear, “It’s tricky and that’s my territory. I mean, when has my brain ever comprehended anything straightforward? It’s like I was made for missions like this.”

“Suicide mission, Khushi.” Payal corrected. She was, by now, exhausted with the effort of trying to make her friend see sense. “It’s literal suicide if you do this and besides, it’s a direct breach of security and privacy. Again, heavy charges could be pressed against you. You know that, don’t you?”

“I do, believe me. I know what risks I’m taking.” Khushi said earnestly, “But I have to take these risks. I can’t afford to lose this job too, Payal. Not when I have a last resort to save it.”

“Well, if you do this, you are going to lose more than just your job, Khushi.”

“I won’t.”

“And how do you know that?”

“Because I'll make sure of it.” Khushi said, “Listen, I know what I’m doing, okay? I’ll be fine, I just have to do it. I know I’ll be able handle it, but Payal please, I need you to let me do this. Please.”