The Epilogue

Khushi couldn’t believe that life could be so perfect.

Four years ago, if someone had told her newly fired self where the future would lead her, she would have laughed. Hysterically.
But what once seemed impossible, was now her soothing reality.

After losing her job as a journalist, Khushi had began helping Payal in her patisserie. It was not a sorry job—Khushi really enjoyed working with her and had since developed a liking for baking. Meanwhile, she had also started her own blog, through which she put both her analytical skills and journalist instincts to work--writing reviews about books, commentaries on certain social issues and spreading uplifting messages.

And though it had started as a past-time, the blog eventually aided her to get another job—the post of a copy editor at the Blackwood Publishing Company.

Khushi had been over the moons when she got the job—merely a year after the loss of her previous job. But that had simply been one step to success.

She had finally decided to give her hobby as a writer a try, not just by writing on her blog but also by working on her very own book. She had taken an idea that crossed her mind when she was still a kid; an image of a family falling apart, with a child desperately trying to hold on to those whom she loved.

This idea had been an outcome of her depressed thinking whilst she was growing up—a make-believe as she imagined herself on a journey to save her family and make things alright again. Over the years she had let go of that idea, both embarrassed and pained by it, but eventually she managed to reconcile with it. The result was a fully crafted story, one that spoke of her own hopeless dreams but also one that gave her immense joy. She had felt lighter when she completed that story, having expressed herself so intricately in those pages. She was proud of her work and as she was already working in a publishing company, it didn’t take much long for her to publish it—about a year after being fired for the third time in a row, she had finished her first book and another year later, her book was in the process of being published. It had been a surreal feeling, holding her hard work in her hand—her baby, the one she had titled ‘Before We Fall.’

It had been more overwhelming when she received mostly positive reviews. Her career soared when her book was critical acclaimed, probing her to work on a second one. This time, she used her knowledge and skills as a journalist to craft a mystery novel, one that just recently got published and was amassing just as much praise as the first one.

Over the years, her blog also grew pretty popular, with her starting to review small businesses and on the way of becoming a respected book critic. Impressed by her work, Mr. Shashi, her former boss with whom she was still in contact, also approaches her to write articles for their print and online media every now and then.

All in all, one could say that Khushi was realising her dream. She had built a stable career at last, one based on sheer hardwork and unwavering dedication. Perhaps it had to do with working alone, but Khushi had finally gotten a grip over herself in her professional life. In short, she pretty much nailed the career aspect of her life in these four years. But still, that was not the most beautiful thing that happened to her.

No, the most beautiful part of her life was currently laying in her arms, fast asleep.

Khushi took her eyes off the French door, through which she had been watching the sunrise, and paused her musing to take in the sleeping form of her boyfriend—Arnav Singh Raizada.

His face was hidden in the crook of her neck, his arms and legs wrapped tightly around her as if scared she’d run away. Not that her hold on him was any less secure.

Khushi rested her cheek on his head, her hands caressing his hair and back.

He was the one most precious thing in her life, the one who made very second special, every day a wonder to remember—her love, her Arnav.