Chapter Three - The Flaw In The Plan

Khushi lost all sense of feeling. Neither did she know what to think or what to do. Instead, she simply laid herself stubbornly on the floor mat, hiding in the legroom of ASR’s car without permission, cursing her fate and cursing her decision that led to the said fate.

Her head was heavy with what it registered a few minutes ago before the car ignited and Arnav Singh Raizada sped away, miraculously unaware of the stowaway in his car. At the back of her head, the voice that had previously been screaming in panic seemed to have the strength only to whimper, as she recalled the many warnings Payal had shouted at her. Unwanted images filled her head with elaborate details—ASR finding her in his car, him calling the police, the reputation of the whole of The Point Media going to ruins after its journalist’s disgraceful act goes public and finally, her whole career, her dreams and her ambitions, all broken behind bars.

She opened her eyes with a jolt, her stomach churning uncontrollably but her mind having made a resolute decision nonetheless.

This was her plan, her decision and her willingness to take on the risk. The Point Media had nothing to do with this and she cannot let it suffer the consequences. Regardless of what the outcome will be, she has to take full responsibility for her actions.

With that resolution, she slowly rose her head, scared to wits but nevertheless sure of what she was doing.

“Uh, excuse me?” Her squeak did nothing but ignite a mild surprise in the eyes that she saw reflected in the rear mirror, but as ASR turned around, the surprise grew into outmost shock.

She flinched as he whipped his head back, probably to stop the car but in his bewilderment, he seemed to have lost control of the vehicle.

“Oh no!” Khushi squealed as the car swerved dangerously. Taking hold of the front seat, she tried to stabilise herself but the car veered again and she fell back on the floor. “Please, please calm down! I can explain, please!” She called out, desperately trying to hold on to something to save herself, her nerves shot up to the sky.

“Who the hell are you?” ASR shouted from the front, still trying to regain control of his car. Taking hold of the seat belt of the back seat, Khushi finally sat herself properly. She held on for dear life as every attempt of ASR failed and she found herself at the risk of being bounced around the crazy vehicle like a ball.

“I--I’ll tell you everything, but first please stop this!” She screamed at the top of her lungs. ASR shot her one more look, before turning back. In that brief moment, Khushi noticed that he was neither angry nor shocked. Perhaps, he did not find time for any of those emotions because the situation was worsening and all he could do, was panic along with her.

“I’m trying!” He groaned but Khushi could no longer see what he was doing. Having secured her seat belt, she slapped her hands on her face and covered her eyes, furiously muttering a cry of help for her Devi Maiya to help her. But the cry must have gone astray because the very next second, she heard a frantic shriek from the front.

“HOLD ON!” ASR thundered but before she could even open her eyes, the car spun out of control. The howl she let out was soon overpowered by the screech of the engines and unable to take it all, she finally fainted.

_________________

A strange light was shining over her. It was a streak that broke through the darkness and became unbearably bright. Khushi groaned and turned her face away, feeling every inch of her body throb, as if she had just fell off an elongated valley. She held her head and found a painful bump right near her temple at the same time as a vehicle nearby let an alarming snarl. Her eyes flung open and with a yelp, she flayed her hands around in an attempt to hold on to something.