Chapter 23

Gabriel

"You could always send Sophia home. And that would solve the problem."

Charles had always been the logical one -both for my father and for myself. He was the voice of reason, and although I often gave him hell, I took his advice very seriously.

But this wasn't an option.

"You don't think that would look a little suspicious? Sending home one of the top females? My mother, at the very least –"
Charles grimaced, knowing I was right.

The night before I'd shown up at my rooms and Charles, waiting to give me a run down on my duties the next day, had instead been subjected to a rant. A long one. He had seemed unsurprised to learn that the reason I'd been so unlike myself the last two weeks was a woman, the glint in his eye a bit too knowing for my liking.

"Your other option, Gabriel, is to just stay away from her."

I sighed, dropping my head into my hands.

Realistically I knew this is what had to happen – I had to stop trying to see her. Stop thinking about her.

But all night I'd been the edge of an orgasm in my sleep, dreaming of her lips and her legs spread before me. Even now the thought was making my mouth water.

Standing, I motioned for Charles to help me choose what I'd wear to the ceremony. We were officially more than halfway through the Hunt, only a week away from the full moon, and there would have to be some cuts.

I was in the middle of securing my cuff links when there was a knock on the door. Charles walked over gracefully and opened the door a crack, speaking quietly. A moment later he opened it fully and stepped back. My mother walked in.

She raised an eyebrow when she saw me, looking over the pressed pants I wore with a simple shirt and perfectly tailored jacket.

"You're ready?" she asked, perching on the end of a bench that was purely aesthetic.

I nodded, but knew we wouldn't be leaving before she'd gotten a few words in.

"Go ahead," I said, leaning back against the dresser and picking up the small wooden bird my father had carved for me. "Tell me what you think."
I watched her face pinch, eyes narrowed as she considered. I suddenly felt guilty upon realizing that she'd put more effort into the Hunt this year than anyone else, with her brunches and small gatherings, prodding and asking questions of every one of the dozen women.

"I think it goes without saying that Iris will not be moving forward."

I nodded in agreement. The Yule princess had shamed her pack, that went without saying. From the very first event there had been whispers throughout the territories of how spoilt she was, how poorly she took losing. Despite her beauty – which I actually found myself unattracted to – she had no backbone, no morals, no depth.

"The Mead and Field alphas were close, but I find they're lacking in experience. Both are rather young for you."

I didn't mention that she had been extremely young on marrying my father. In actuality, my mother had a maturity to her that stretched beyond her years. And she was right – both Mya and Maggie had only just turned eighteen. Mya seemed strong, resilient, but still playful. Maggie was clearly more of a recluse who didn't know much about herself yet.

"What do you think about Iona?" I asked, sitting down at the end of the bed. Up until today I hadn't been sure how I felt about the River pack princess. She had placed solidly in the middle of every single event."

My mother scoffed lightly, smiling. "I think the problem is less with her, and more with you in that case."

Charles mimicked her smile and I looked back and forth between the two of them.