I want this

The wall-encompassing window in our hotel room frames a breathtaking view of Central Park

The wall-encompassing window in our hotel room frames a breathtaking view of Central Park. Though it's nothing compared to the view I'm walking towards.

Briar doesn't turn, but when I slip my arms around the midsection of her black strapless dress, she relaxes against me and settles her hands over mine. The tall heels on her feet put her near the same height as me. They're hot pink, and if anyone can pull them off, it's her.

I bury my face in her hair, cascading in silky strands past her shoulder blades, and the sweet scent of vanilla and bubble gum float around me. Sounds like an odd combination, but it suits her perfectly. Warm and comforting, yet fresh and exhilarating at the same time. It's the type of smell that makes you feel lively and carefree. Though right now, she seems far from either of those.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask, studying her wistful expression in the window. The light from our suite—as if Chaz was gonna book a simple room for Briar—provides a mirror-like effect.

"Just... stuff."

Her fingertips skim my knuckles, and she sags into me further. There's not the tiniest hint of a smile as she stares back at my reflection, and I'm not convinced that's a bad thing. Of course I want her to be happy, but it's okay not to hide how you're feeling all the time.

The woman I'd met yesterday was friendly, not at all like she'd been described to me—not that Briar's spoken a lot about her family life. What I witnessed was a mother who tried to mask her devastation that she doesn't know her daughter. And in front of me, I'm positive I see a daughter who's realizing she might not know her mother, just the same.

"What type of stuff?" I pry, hoping she's going to let me in.

A deep breath lifts her shoulders, and she asks, "Is this where you saw yourself at twenty-five?"

I'm not sold that this is exactly what's on her mind, but I'll play along. "Here? In a hotel with you? Not in a million years."

Briar spins around and levels me with a scowl that's not real. "I'm serious. Sometimes I am, Trey. Get with the program." Her lips tip up despite her statement, and her palms land on my chest.

"Where I'm at in life?" When she nods, I continue. "I think so. On the rare occasion that I'd gone out in college, I was fascinated by the nightlife scene. Human nature is interesting to me. Some are there to celebrate, some to commiserate, others to remember, and then there are the ones who want to forget. You can learn a lot by sitting back and watching."

"You're extraordinarily observant. It's one of my favorite qualities about you." She leans into me, and I run a hand down her back.

"Everything about you is my favorite," I say, and I'm not sugarcoating it. I like the loud and free as much as I like the reserved and soft. She's the perfect balance. She's my perfect balance. "But with you? In a hotel room?"