Brother

Though we were physically separated, it still felt like the guy was standing right beside me. No matter what I could feel him there, and knew he was watching me. Maybe not with his eyes, but some other way. I could only figure it was kind of like how I could sense him, he could sense me. As much as I tried to ignore it I couldn’t help but sense his movements, and even hear both of their conversations.

Walking over I stared out the window, the events of the past few days slowly drifting through my head. Xavier was out there somewhere going through who knows what because of me. All because I managed to slip out of their little plan. Even if it was partly because he had helped, I still felt solely responsible. And one way or another, I was going to get him back.

My hands clenched by my side, my eyes looking out past the horizon. All I needed to do was get control of my own abilities and I’d be fine, right? I could get back home, find Xavier and save him. As unlikely as that seemed, it was the only thing I could think of. Jake would be waiting for me, along with the rest of an army, I was sure, but that wasn’t going to stop me.

A knock on the door pulled me from my own little world. The one where numerous scenarios swirled around inside my head, most with outcomes that didn’t way in my favor. As the door opened I knew exactly who it was and every muscle in my body tensed as Tobias walked in. It looked like something was bothering him, and I wasn’t so sure that this was going to end good.

I watched as the door shut behind him, leaving us staring at each other. If worse came to worse, I could jump out the window. Sure, that meant falling ten feet or so to the ground, but I figured I could land it. Besides, it was better than getting in an all out fight when he has the clear advantage. “You’re her, aren’t you? Those eyes, that voice, that aura. You’re Salena.”

His voice was soft with what seemed like a hint of sadness in it. Salena… I had heard that name before. In my dreams with the little girl and the angels. Ever since then I had been trying to ignore that. Sure, my life had pretty much all been a lie, but I couldn’t accept that I was Salena. I was Riley. Riley Jaylen Storm, and that’s all I’d ever be. And even if I wasn’t, how did this guy know that? “Sorry, you must have me mixed up with someone else,” I replied, hoping, but doubting, he’d believe it.

The expression on his face hardened a bit as he stared at me, determination seeping into his eyes. “Don’t act like you’re not. I could see it in your eyes when I said your name. You might go by Riley now, but you’re still Salena.”

It was like he was backing me up into a corner, and I didn’t do well cornered. My fingers twitched a bit as the silence took over the room between us. Part of me knew he was right, but the more superior part refused to believe it. No matter what he said, I was never going to be Salena. “No, I’m not,” I said a bit more sternly. “I don’t even know any Salena, and I’ve never seen you before so you can’t know me.”

The next moment happened in a split second, but I could see it perfectly, as if it was happening in slow motion or something. He shot at me, faster than any human should be able to move. But, being that I wasn’t exactly human either, I found myself moving out of the way just in time. Though, I didn’t expect him to be that fast. Before I could even recover I felt his hands on my wrists and he shoved me up against the wall, his face just inches from mine with an expression of mixed emotions. “I know you know it’s true. Stop acting  like it’s not. I don’t know how you managed to survive or what’s happened until now, but you are Salena. You’re an angel just like me,” he stated, pausing for a moment. “And my sister.”

Sister? The word echoed through my head as I stared at him. Next thing I knew it was like someone had swung the gate blocking the past wide open and everything poured out. The memories of my childhood, my parents, Heaven, Tobias. It was all rushing back at me, but it was a little much to have happen all at once. I felt myself become lightheaded and start to lose my balance. Tobias let my wrists go and moved his arms to help set me down on the floor. “You remember now, don’t you?” he said softly.

I nodded, trying to grasp everything that was bouncing inside my head and calm it down before it exploded. When I finally managed to calm the ecstatic memories I found Tobias smiling lightly at me. The kind of smile a father gives his daughter when trying to cheer her up. Or when a brother just managed to make his little sister laugh to keep her from telling their parents something.

“How did you get here?” he asked curiously. “Dalton told me about last night, but if you had been anywhere near the city I would have sensed it.”

“I’m not really sure. All I know is one minute I was there, the next I’m standing on the sidewalk in a place I’ve never been before,” I replied, pausing for a moment as I remembered Dakkone and my argument. “I have to get back, Tobias. Someone’s in trouble and if I don’t do something he’s gonna get killed,” I blurted out, finding myself on the edge of tears.

“Salena, you can’t just go wandering around anymore. You’ve finally emerged and every supernatural being is gonna be able to sense you. We need to go back to Heaven and sort things out. I’m sure they’ll send someone…..” his words were cut off as I shook my head in disagreement.

“You don’t understand. I know all that, but I can’t just sit around and do nothing. He, he saved my life and I can’t just let him die like this,” I argued.

“I understand, but you’re more than just an angel, Salena. You’re not just a messenger or a guardian, you’re a warrior. One of the Seven Great Warriors, in fact. You’re a walking target and who knows what could happen.”

“I know that, damnit!” I nearly shouted. “And I don’t care. I got him into this mess, and I’m getting him out. Now you can either help me or not, but I’m not just gonna sit back and let someone else do what I need to,” I said sternly, managing to get to my feet.

“But you don’t even have control of your powers. How do you expect to save him and get back without getting injured?”

I was silent for a moment. In all honesty, I really wasn’t expecting to walk away from it. Maybe limp or crawl, but not walk. If I even managed to make it out alive. The people I was going to be going up against weren’t just some demons, they were the Devil’s own son and his little group of friends. “Guess I’ll just have to figure it out as I go.”