Ready, Set, Fight!

Woot! Another chapter (= Hope everyone likes it. It's almost the end of the story, kinda makes me sad. But there will be a second! Still got a few more chapaters before we have to worry about that. Gonne try and hit fifty (maybe more) before it ends.

Enjoy, comment, love <3

---------------------------------------

It was silent for a moment as we stared at each other, the area around us completely still, as if everything could sense the tension. A small breeze dared to blow through, just enough to move a few strands of Jake’s dark brown hair into his face, partly covering his amber eyes for a few seconds. “So you’ve decided to stand and face me instead of running back to your little friends. Not that it matters. It just means I don’t have to chase you down,” Jake said, the sneer in his voice obvious.

“You’re right, it doesn’t make a difference. I’d hate for you to have to work so hard to find me, just to have everything end. You won’t win, Jake. I won’t let you. Even if it cost me my life, you’re dead,” I growled back.

My words seemed to amuse him as he grinned down at me, taking another step forward so only mere inches separated us as he reached out and took my chin in his hand. “That is where you’re wrong, Riley. I’m not going to die anytime soon, but neither are you. I need you alive, as I’m sure you know. Though I’ll make you sorry you ever went against me by claiming the lives of those weakling friends of yours.”

His threat didn’t sit well with me and I snapped my hand out, snatching his wrist and pulling it away from me. “Threatening my friends is a fatal mistake, Jake,” I said, much more calmly than I felt.

Right now my heart was racing, adrenaline pumping into my veins with everything that could happen. And what would. It was all a matter of when, and as things progressed I knew it was drawing closer and closer.

“Why don’t we settle things right here instead of waiting till morning, hmm? Everyone’s already in place and that club of Sathe’s will be nothing more than rubble by sunrise.”

What he said was possibly true, but at the same time I knew everyone would be fine. Sathe knew what was going on, and surely she had let everyone else know. As soon as things started to move she’d make the humans leave the club, whether they liked it or not. Then all hell would break loose. Literally.

Without a word the first move was made. My scythe materialized in my hand and I swung it at Jake. Not surprisingly he easily dodged it, jumping back and landing a few feet out of range. “Impatient, are we? Well I’d hate to keep you waiting, my dear.”

That was the last moment that everything was still and calm. He had just avoided another swing of my blade when I felt the fight begin elsewhere. The demons, or whatever creatures he had going after the club, were making their move. Be careful, everyone. I don’t want to be going to anyone’s funeral. I thought, my eyes focused on Jake.

He was down one heart, which should have been his last. This time I was going to make sure it was. As much as I hated the thought, the only sure way to know he was dead was to do something a bit more medieval, and that was to behead him. The thought made me cringe a bit, but there was no going around it.

Time after time he avoided the scythe, but each time it was getting a bit closer. It wasn’t as if I was missing, though Jake thought I was. I wasn’t that slow, but giving him a false sense of security would make things a bit easier when it came down to the last few moves. Just when he thought he was in the clear, it would be over. And it would be his life that was lost, not mine or anyone else’s.