Everything Seems Normal Enough

His reaction to my dream wasn't what I had expected. Instead of saying it was probably nothing, or it was just something my mind came up with, he was interested in the little details. Like the color of each person's wings, their eyes, hair, the way they stood, talked, flew. Every little detail, really. Things I wouldn't even pay much attention to, he wanted to know.

It didn't bother at all, really. Or even seem odd to me when he did it. Xavier wasn't like any other guy I had met, so I had expected him to act a bit differently. And the fact he showed such interest in my dream actually made me smile. I felt like he was noticing me even more, like I was standing out to him more than any other girl.

Again, I mentally slapped myself. There I went, thinking about that again. Only a few hours had passed since we first met and my mind was already coming up with ideas of me being by Xavier's side, a huge smile on my face as we walked down the road, my head leaning on his arm. More than once it came up with one of Xavier and I standing there, facing it each other. Then, he lifted my chin, we closed out eyes, and kissed.

Stupid, stupid brain. Now was not the time to be thinking things about romance. I mean, I hadn't had any interest in that sort of thing all my life. Not to mention all it ever brought was drama. How I loathed drama more than just about anything.

Glancing at the clock that sat on the table beside his bed, I stood up. "Crap, I gotta get going. I'm supposed to be home by now and my parents will be home in forty-five minutes. If I'm not there they'll kill me," I said, looking down at Xavier.

He stood up and nodded. "Well, I guess you better get going," he commented, then started towards the door.

Again, I followed him down the two flights of stairs, across the floor, out the large doors and over to where my car was parked. I couldn't help but smile at him when he walked over and opened the driver's door for me, stepping out of the way with his hand still on the door.

Sitting down in the seat, he shut the door and I rolled down the window. My face probably turned a slightly brighter shade of red when he leaned his arms on the door, his face just inches from mine with his deep, green eyes staring at me and that signature grin on his face. "You remember how to get out of here?" he asked, amusement in his voice.

"I think so. Maybe you should give me your number just in case," I replied, a little surprised at how easily I had just asked that.

"Hand me your phone," he stated, and I handed it over to him.

A moment later he handed it back. We were silent for a couple seconds, but it felt more like a couple eternities as I stared at him, unable to look away. It was as if his eyes had mine locked on them, keeping them from looking away. "Um, well," I started, trying to figure out what I was about to say. "My parents are having a party tomorrow for my seventeenth birthday. They always have a theme of some sort. A couple hours before they call the people and tell them the theme so they can get all dressed up and everything. Maybe you...."

"Sure. Just give them my number and I'll be there," he finished with a small smile.

I nodded, putting the key in the ignition and starting the car. "Well, I'm gonna get going. I'll see you tomorrow, I guess."

"Yeah, cya."

Xavier leaned up from the window, taking a step back so I could drive away. Shifting the car into gear, I started out the driveway, glancing a few times in the mirrors to see Xavier still standing there, watching me with his hands in his pockets.

The drive back home took about half an hour, only ten more than it took to get from school to home. Luckily, my parents weren't there yet as I pulled in the driveway and parked the car. Grabbing my bag off of the passenger's seat, I headed inside and up the stairs, tossing it in the corner of my room.

No sooner had I turned to walk back out and down the stairs, I heard the familiar sound of Mom's SUV pulling into the driveway. I let out a sigh of relief. Just a minute more and she would have caught me.

When my phone vibrated, I jumped and nearly yelped. Sifting it out of my pocket, I looked down at the screen, a little surprised at the name that shown back at me: Xavier. But how had he gotten my number? I had gotten his, but never gave him mine.

Flipping it open, I read the message he had sent me. So I take it u made it home fine?

Quickly, I texted back while walking down the stairs, almost tripping and falling the rest of the way down before catching myself. Yea. It wasn't too hard really.

Rounding the corner to the kitchen, I walked over and grabbed a drink from the fridge before turning to look at mom, who was sitting a bag down on the counter. "Party stuff?" I asked, a small grin on my face.

Mom looked back over at me, returning the grin. "Nope. That stuff's hidden so you can't find it," she replied.

"Aww, c'mon. Tell me. Please?" I whined, making a puppy-dog face.

All I got was a shake of Mom's head as she started putting some of the groceries in the bag away. "You'll find out tomorrow. Don't rush it. You only turn seventeen once, you know."

"Yeah, I know. But I hate not knowing what theme you and Dad have come up with. Everyone knows but me," I stated, taking a drink of my soda. "Oh, and I have another person you need to call and tell," I said, walking over and grabbing a piece of paper and pen off the counter.

Quickly, I scribbled down Xavier's name and number, then handed it to Mom. She looked over it, then raised an eyebrow at me. I know what that look meant, she had used it on me before. "No, he's not my boyfriend. He's just a friend. I actually just met him today in English. We were paired together as partners on this project we have to do," I said, and Mom nodded.

Hearing the sound of another vehicle, I turned my attention to the door. "Sounds like your dad's home. Why don't you go see if he needs help?"

Sitting my drink down, I headed towards the door and out to Dad's truck. He gave me a smile and placed his hand on top of my head, ruffling my hair into a complete mess like he had always done since I was little. I greeted him back by playfully punching his arm.