New Director

(I know that 682, 035, 049, 079, 323 and 096 are most likely NOT in the same site, but idgaf. 😌)

"(Y/n), sir. Why do you want to speak to 079?" One of the guards asked.
"Because, I have been given permission to give 079 something that I think he'll like." You responded, flipping through a folder of ideas you had come up with. You walked over and sat down in front of 079. 'Hello.' You typed.
'Who are you?' 079 responded.
'I am the new director, (Y/n).' You answered.

'I don't want to talk to you.' 079 said, displaying an x.
'I was hoping to show you some ideas I had of something I can do to make you feel less stuck.' You typed. The x disappeared, replaced with a curious look. You held up a piece of paper with a prototype of a body for him. 'This would be temporary, until the final one could be finished. But you'd be able to move around a bit. And I will see if I can get allowance for you to see 682.' You told him. 'Why?'

'Why what?' You asked.
'Why do you want to help me?' He asked, becoming suspicious.
'Well, because I believe that if you have emotions, you should deserve a bit of happiness in this bleak place.' You responded. He remained silent for a minute. 'They'll never allow me to see 682, you know.'

'I can still try. Even if it's only for a few minutes, it would be better than nothing, right?' You responded. He remained silent. 'Well, take a day to think on my offer for a body you can move, and I'll go see to the others.' You said, getting up and leaving the room.

"Where to next, sir?" One of the researchers asked. "I'm going to 682,i would like to speak to 049 next, would you please go let him know that I'll be there in about an hour. It may take longer depending on how well 682 responds to my news." The researcher  nodded, heading down a seperate hallway. You continued on to 682's observation room. "Hello 682, my name is Director (Y/n). I have some news for you." You said pleasantly. 682 muttered profanities.

"Well, the news I have is that I just spoke to 079 about giving him a body that he will be able to move on his own. I will be trying to get permission to allow you and him to talk for at least an hour, but they may have me start the time smaller, and work it up with good behavior. Which would mean no breaches or killing of staff." You said, ignoring the mutterings. He paused. "Whatever you hope to accomplish with that won't happen." He growled.

"The only thing I hope to accomplish is making you feel a bit happier, or at least less inclined to break out."
He stared at you. "Maybe one day, I'll be allowed to let you guys walk along us sometimes." You mummbled. He snorted. You shrugged. "Next I wanted to ask-"

"No." He interrupted.
"Huh?" You looked up from your notes. He glared at you. "Whatever test you want to do, my answer is no." He said.
"Oh, no, you misunderstand, I was going to ask if there was a name you preferred to be called. Calling you 682 feels too formal and awkward." You grimaced. He remained silent for a minute. "Atani." He said.

"Atani. It's a very nice name." You smiled. He huffed. You glanced at the time. "Oh dear, I need to get to 049. I said I would speak to him in an hour at least an hour and a half ago. It was a pleasure to meet you, Atani." You said, leaving the room.

You arrived at 049's chamber 10 minutes later. "I do apologize for being late, 049." You said, entering the observation room. He didn't look up from his current project, a deer. "It's alright. I understand that time can slip away, so it's-" he stopped as he looked up. "I can sense no pestilence in you. The others are all seeped in it, but I find no trace of it in you. I wonder." He trailed off, grabbing his journal and quickly jotting notes down.

"Is the pestilence similar to greed or cruelty?" You mumbled, slightly lost in thought. "It is a darkness that people possess. Except, it seems, you." He said, looking back up at you. You were snapped out of you thoughts by his answer. "I have my own demons to deal with, everyone does, but I try to not let them interfere with what I believe. And I believe that as long as someone can feel, they deserve happiness." You said.

"Even if they have caused thousands of deaths?" He questioned slyly."
"Even then. I don't believe that anyone, no matter what they have done, deserves to be treated cruelly. Or be hurt in the name of  the "greater good"." You said, shaking your head slightly. He chuckled. "I see you and I are not so different then."

"Perhaps not, the next person I'm supposed to check on is 035. I understand that you guys have a bit of history, is there anything you want me to say to him?" You asked. He hesitated for a minute. "Tell him that I say hi, please." He said. You nodded.
"Of course. I'll see if I can arrange a time for you two to be able to talk to each other as well." You said, nodding a goodbye. He waved and returned to his work.

You went into the observation room of 035. The mask was already on a D-class. "Hello, 035. I have a message from 0r9 for you. He says hi." You greeted. 035's grin widened a bit. "Oh hello, to you Director (Y/n). The researchers told me you'd be by soon." He responded. You smiled. "I was going to ask 049 this, but can out of time, is there a name you prefer to be called instead of the number the higher ups gave you?" You asked. He shook his head. "No, 035 is fine." He said pleasantly.

"Alright then. I will try to get you and 049 a time to talk as well." You said, jotting the note down before you forgot. "Plagy liked you, didn't he?" 035 asked.
"Hm? What do you mean?" You asked.
"Well, you're rather kind. He probably didn't sense anything in you, huh?" 035 said, sounding strange. "He said he didn't sense any pestilence in me." You said nonchalantly. 035 frowned slightly. "Was the only thing he asked you to tell me hi?" 035 asked. You nodded.

"I think he has more he wanted to tell you, but wasn't comfortable with having it come from me." You said. 035 smiled again. "I hope so. We have a deep history together, you know." He said, almost teasingly.
"I've seen some of the notes on your past." You said, nodding absentmindedly. 035's smile widened.

"Well, the next time you see him tell him I miss him dearly, won't you?" 035 asked. You made another to let 049 know what 035 requested. "Of course I will. There's one more person I need to see today, 096." You said. 035's smile fell completely. "You do know what happens when someone sees him, right?" 035 asked.

"Yes. I am aware. Don't worry, I have a blind fold I will use. I wish to talk to him and let him know who I am and that I hope to make you all more comfortable in here." You smiled. 035 remained silent, wearing a frown.

You put the blindfold on and then, as an extra layer, you put a sleeping mask over the blindfold. One of the guards nervously opened the door. You heard mutterings of 'don't look at me' and 'please leave'. You took a deep breath and walk further in. You made sure to keep your left hand on the wall. You heard the door shut behind you.

"Hello 096,or is there a different name you prefer?" You ask softly, as to try not to startle the poor guy. You heard shifting and shuffling for a moment before everything went silent. "Sir 096 is right in front of you, according to the sensors." One of the guards said through the earpiece you had. You tilted your head up to where you assumed his head was. "I apologize if I am talking above you, but I wanted to let you know who I am and that I want to do everything I can to make you all feel a bit more comfortable and maybe a bit more happier."

You heard a rasping and a soft breath. "Like... 9...9...9..?" You nodded.
"Yes. If there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let someone know." You smiled.
"H.... H-u.. G..?"
"You want a hug?" You asked. You heard a hum after a moment. You opened your arms carefully, not sure where his body was. You felt his arms wrap around you and lift you up. Your heart nearly jumped out of you chest when he did this, but after a moment he set you back down. "Th... Than...k...s." He said slowly. You nodded. "Of course." You whispered. You heard him go back to his corner and you moved to the door, gently knocking on it. The guards quickly opened the door and let you out.