Chapter 21 - Aftermath

He had ascended to the Next Life

It was the first thought that crossed his still hazed mind when Trygve woke because it was the only explanation he had for his current state. 

One instant his life had been all dust, and teeth and talons and blood and gore in his and Gainor's battle with the fallen one, the next was utter serenity, warmth and soft, comforting light. He even felt the warmth of the morning sun, inviting him to open his eyes.

Doing just that, Trygve felt dizzy, his head spinning. 

Blinking and struggling to orient himself, he realised the softness of grass on one side of his face. His still reeling mind slowly began to understand that he was laying on the ground with his face softly bedded on a lush green pillow. 

The rich scent of moist earth and fresh greens tickled his nose, a soft spring breeze caressed his bare skin. It was carrying with it the pristine smell of pine trees and the many-voiced whisper of tree branches rustling in the light wind wavered towards him. 

The filthy clothes, the same he had worn before his change, had simply vanished. His skin was clean and no longer bore any marks or remnants of the toxic dust they had wandered in during their quest in the Wasteland. Since the air was warm with the first promise of mild summer nights yet to come, he didn't mind. If this truly was the Next Life, no one would mind anyway. 

For a moment he didn't dare to move for fear it was all an illusion that would disappear the moment he acknowledged its existence. So, he squeezed his eyes shut again and just stayed where he was, blissfully enjoying each breath of fresh, clean air that filled his lungs. Right now, he couldn't care less if any of it was real or not.

"Stars!"

The astonished exclamation to Trygve's right, however, made his senses snap back to attention, all peace he had felt forgotten. 

Coming to his feet in one swift motion, left his head spinning and his vision fuzzy again, but even as it cleared he still felt dizzy from what he saw.

Expecting the worst, that this paradise would break into a million pieces, he forced his mind to clear and his senses to sharpen. After all, ava's and Gainor's life might depend on it. But much to his surprise his first impression seemed to accurate and there were absolutely no signs whatsoever of it crumbling even around the edges.

The ground beneath him was rich green grass, a meadow bordering a thick pine tree forest some yards to his left, where he could also spy a little stream. It seemed to come from a mountain range further into the distance, beyond the emerald green of the woods that stretched for miles. Warm sunlight now touched all of his body and cleared away the lingering mists of the early morning that hung low across the babbling water

A few yards away, Trygve found the source of the words that had roused him from his green bed. Gainor was marvelling at the scenery too. It must have been his voice he heard before. 

Apparently, the other Dracaeni apparently hadn't managed to fully get up before the utter amazement had made him halt, so it seemed since he only had pushed himself in a half-sitting position. Now he was craning his neck in every direction as he took in his new surroundings. His mouth was slightly open and his golden eyes wide as saucers.

He did look better than he had before, Trygve thought. Although he was still too thin, his cheeks slightly hollow, his skin tone looked somehow healthier and his hair shimmered in a thousand different facets in the bright sunlight. 

Slowly turning to face him, expression still stunned in amazement he asked Trygve, "Is this, ..." he visibly swallowed, " Are we dead?"

Too captivated by the other male's sight,  Trygve said nothing for a moment. Only when Gainor raised his eyebrows inquisitively at him did he realise that both of them were naked and that he had stared. He quickly averted his gaze, pretending to take in the marvellous scenery once more.