Chapter 46 - Hunting Faeries

Fae definitely weren't meant to fly.

Most definitely not, Raban thought as he was kneeling on the soft forest floor of the clearing that Gainor had used as a landing spot. The Dracaeni had changed back into his human form and was watching him from where he sat on a tree stump a couple of yards away, while he waited for his stomach to calm down.

Raban closed his eyes as another wave of nausea hit him and a soft groan escaped his lips. Why hadn't his body registered that it was safely back on the ground yet?

"You should just let it out instead of fighting it, you know," Gainor said from where he casually leaned against one of the trees. "Won't be pretty, but you'll feel much better afterwards." His voice held honest sympathy.

"I just need a minute," Raban said back hoarsely. Although the other man's advice became more appealing by the second, he wasn't ready to give up yet. He was determined to hold on to his dignity just a little bit longer.

When they had first decided that they'd go on patrol together bundling the task of surveying the borders and hunting Faeries, he had been excited. Just like any other being that didn't have wings, he too had imagined what it would feel like to roam the skies freely. 

Sadly, however, his body had despised the notion immediately once they had taken off. Determined to not spoil their mission, Raban had done his best to keep his roiling stomach in check and his mouth firmly shut.

Luckily, he had been able to keep going until after they had finished their survey of the border activities. The dark shadows on the other side of the rift – so it seemed – had changed back into the utter stillness which they had displayed before yesterday. The only noticeable alteration was that they now spread further into the lands that had until yesterday been governed by Frode. All that they could see of the Alderman's former territory was now covered with a veil of darkness too.

However, it would be utterly foolish of them to assume that it was the last they had heard and seen of the shadow wielder. At least Raban believed the momentary calm to be very treacherous and Gainor had growled at his words, his version of voicing agreement in his dragon form.

But as soon as they had descended lower to have a closer look at possible locations for the second part of today's mission, all Raban had been able to do, was to beg the Dracaeni that carried him to land this very instant. Thankfully Gainor had complied without debate and dropped him on the ground safely.

Taking deep, slow breaths – in through the nose, out through his mouth – Raban felt relief flood him as he felt his insides calm down slowly. Thank the stars. 

When he got up to stand, his knees still slightly wobbly, Gainor greeted him with a wide grin. "Glad to see you back among the living," he teased good-naturedly. "The faint ashen of your skin matches the colour of your eyes so much better than the shade of green it was before."

"Very funny," Raban replied, although his words held no bite. He knew that this was merely Gainor's way of trying to cheer him up. 

Right after they had landed, he had looked genuinely worried and somewhat sheepish, feeling responsible for his airsickness, but Raban had assured him he wasn't to blame. His kind simply was more comfortable on the ground.

"So, what next?" Gainor asked. "I don't assume you want to take off again any time soon?"

"No, not for some time," Raban hastily confirmed the other's assumption. He literally couldn't stomach any more flying right now. He looked around to take a closer look at their surroundings. 

"I spotted a small waterfall not far from here," he said, "we should be able to walk there from where we are now. It's this way." He pointed in the direction where he had spied said waterfall before their speedy landing.