Chapter 47 - Audience with a Queen

Evaly, Queen of the Riverfolk, wasn't quite what Raban had expected.

After he had swum ashore, his teeth rattling from the icy waters of the mountain stream, he had found Gainor tied to one of the nearest trees. Just as he had anticipated, the Faeries hadn't taken kindly towards the Dracaeni.

Having taken on the colours of the autumns forest, the Faeries were little more than fast-moving specks of colour to the unknowing eye. Since they were so small, Faeries had the ability to merge with the colours of their surroundings, making it easier for them to conceal themselves in case of danger, making them invaluable scouts in any military campaign. Now they were hovering and flitting around the incapacitated Dracaeni who gazed at them, his expression somewhere between wonder and terror. 

Contrary to the widely held belief, Faeries weren't as harmless as people thought. While they usually contented themselves with playing tricks and pranks, they could also be dangerous, especially when you entered their premises without permission. Their tiny, sharp teeth were venomous to most other beings and while a single bite would merely lead to mild discomfort, a considerable number could easily cause grave damage.

Raban hadn't wanted to tell Gainor as much before since the Dracaeni had seemed stressed enough and he had been fairly certain that they wouldn't be harmed. Now, however, he wasn't quite as sure. Better not waste any time then, he thought.

After finally hurling himself out of the water, it had cost him a great deal of explaining and assuring that Gainor was no threat to the little creatures that hovered around them. The Dracaeni's awestruck expression at his surroundings, however, had been an immense help. 

Luckily, their curiosity about where this landscape had suddenly come from, how a Fae had survived the hunts and why he was cooperating with a Dracaeni had been stronger than their desire to take vengeance. Gainor's genuine interest in the little beings and the openness of his expression had been helpful, too. The Faeries seemed to be just as fascinated by seeing a Dracaeni up close as the other way around. After some deliberation, they had sent forth a messenger to await further instructions.

Much to his astonishment, Raban had learned that they hadn't stumbled across any random group of Faeries. It seemed that they had discovered an entire kingdom. He wondered again how such a substantial number of them had managed to survive. And how had they even gotten here? 

According to what Ava and Trygve had told him, these lands had been a wasteland until recently, a hostile environment for every magical being, not only Faeries. He needed to consult Orla on the matter once they were back home.

The messenger had returned swiftly and one of the Faeries had informed them that their Queen had graciously accepted their request for an audience. Even though neither he nor Gainor had requested the like, Raban had bowed respectfully and asked to be taken to the queen.

Following the little winged creatures, Gainor's hands still tied, they had been led into a cave beyond the waterfall from where countless smaller caves and tunnels led further into the rock. Since all of them were far too small for Gainor and Raban, the queen of the Faeries had agreed to meet them in the cave's entrance, where they now stood. But even here, he had to bend to not hit his head. Thankfully, it wasn't as cold as outside because Raban's clothes were still completely soaked.

The cave was illuminated by countless enchanted stones and crystals that cast its interiors into a bright array of assorted colours which were reflected by the water to their backs. Announced by the soft chime of silver bells that remained hidden from sight, he had felt Gainor beside him gasp as four Faeries had come fluttering into the room.

Between them, they carried a throne that was made of delicate branches, woven into an intricate pattern. On it, no taller than one of his hands, sat what Raban assumed had to be Queen Evaly, at least that was the name which the messenger had given them.