Chapter 36 - Disagreements

"That's impossible."

Although Raban had hardly any first-hand knowledge about the Between after the war, he felt anger stir inside him at the flat-out dismissal of his observations.

After the discovery of the dancing lights at the lake, he had stood there for some minutes, completely mesmerised. He hadn't dared to venture closer for fear of chasing them away, so instead, he had returned to tell the others about it. 

Sadly, Trygve's reaction wasn't quite what he'd expected.

"I'm telling you, I saw them with my own eyes. I've seen Faeries dance before," retorted, not quite able to keep his anger from showing in his tone.

"And I'm telling you," the big Dracaeni spoke extra slowly and carefully, as one would with an obstinate child, "I had to witness the extinction of all Faeries still left alive after the war. I saw that with my own eyes too."

Raban felt his hands ball into fists and his anger turned to fury, making his blood boil.

"Just as impossible as a surviving Fae? Or a female sorceress?" he challenged the other man who sat on the sofa across the fireplace. 

How could he dismiss his observation so easily?

"Maybe we could just follow up on the idea?" Gainor suggested in an attempt to appease the situation. As always, the smaller Dracaeni seemed to know when it was sensible to intervene.

Much to Raban's dismay, however, Trygve merely snorted at that, earning himself a concerned look from Ava who sat next to Gainor on the other sofa, a steaming mug of tea in her hands. Even though her face revealed that she wasn't happy with Trygve's behaviour she hadn't said anything yet.

"Come on, Trygve, it doesn't hurt, does it?" Gainor went on, despite the other's lack of enthusiasm. "There might be a connection to what you saw during our first patrol a few weeks back, do you remember?"

Raban positively fumed now. Trygve had spotted something himself and yet he didn't take his observation into account?

Arrogant prick.

"I told you already, it was nothing," Trygve practically growled in reply. "We would be chasing ghosts and wasting our time, that is all there is to it."

At this Ava opened her mouth, ready to join the discussion, but unfortunately, Raban's temper was quicker.

"Oh, yes of course," he seethed, "because Trygve the Great is free of any fault. Just like you were when believed consort could be a position in name only."

Although the Dracaeni's flinch made him feel some extent of satisfaction, the fact that Ava mirrored the motion made him regret having uttered them in the first place. While Trygve had deserved them, there was really no need to make her feel more guilty than she already did.

Stupid.

"Fine," Trygve practically snarled, "we're going to check it out tomorrow."

"Now if you excuse me, I'm off to bed," he added briskly and stalked towards the staircase that led to the bedrooms upstairs.

Before he could open his mouth and apologise to the sorceress, she had gotten up as well.

"I ..." she cleared her throat, evading his gaze. "I'm going to check in with Orla before I'll go up. Maybe she has something useful to add on the topic." With that, she hurried towards the doors of the library, clearly seeking refuge from his harsh words.

Only Gainor and he remained in the living area, watching as Ava's delicate, and now hunched form disappeared into the depths of the room next door.

Sighing deeply, he let himself sink on the sofa that Trygve had left empty, running a hand across his face. Every bit of hope for other Fae survivors he had felt at the sight of the dancing Faeries was completely forgotten.