CHAPTER TWO

Living with the Mendoza's, Sammi was quick to find out that they always came up with an excuse to eat cake and she didn't have any problem with that. This time it was for a good reason. Alexa was taking her last pill she had to take for her cancer tonight and shouldn't need to take that medicine ever again.

Sammi was in the kitchen, setting some plates on the kitchen island while Lori finished icing the cake. "I'm texting Katie it's time." Alexa informed them from her place in the living room.

Sammi nods. "Sounds good."

"Where's Lucas?" Lori questioned as she put away the dirty dishes from dinner into the dishwasher.

"Knowing Lucas, he's probably studying." Dave replies. Sammi couldn't help the laugh that escapes her lips. She quickly covered her mouth, looking apologetic for laughing while Dave and Lori sent amused looks her way.

"Yeah, I know." Dave chuckles, nodding in agreement. "I can't believe I actually said it and meant it."

"Be right back to take my last cancer pill ever!" Alexa exclaimed, excitedly pointing at the three adults in the kitchen before she went up the stairs.

"Let's do this!" Dave cheered.

"Yay!" Lori cheered, but it wasn't as enthuastically as Dave sounded.

Sammi furrows her eyebrows, sharing a confused look with Dave before looking at Lori. "Okay, that was the most nervous 'yay' I've ever heard."

"That wasn't a nervous 'yay'." Lori denies, setting the icing bag. "That was a let's-be-cautious-of-the-future 'yay'."

Sammi chuckles softly, looking at her with a small smile. "Everyone's been looking forward for this day for two years."

"I know." Lori sighs. "It's just, the pills kept the cancer away."

Dave nods, sending his wife a smile. "And they did their job."

"They did." Lori nods in agreement. "It's just hard not to-Keep smiling!" A look of confusion forms on Sammi's face when Lori fakes a smile. Sammi glanced to her right, noticing Alexa was walking into the living room and that answered her question as to why Lori was had a fake smile.

"Don't ruin it." Lori muttered to Dave.

"No, I'm not." Dave said, fake smiling as well. "I'm smiling because this is a good thing."

"Yeah. Uh-huh." Lori nodded.

Alexa walks into the kitchen, pointing at a glass of water that was for her. She grins. "Last glass of water for taking my last cancer pill. And last time on walking in on," She points at her parents and Sammi. "You guys trying to cover up that you're worrying about me."

Dave takes ahold of his daughter's hand, squeezing her hand. "We're not worried."

"Awe." Alexa smiles. "Last cancer sympathy hand squeeze. I'll miss those." Dave chuckled and let go of her hand while Lucas walked down the stairs.

"Seriously, though," Sammi walks around the kitchen island over to Alexa, pulling her in for a side hug. "I'm happy for you."

"Awe," Alexa leans her head on Sammi's shoulder. "Thank you, Sam." They let go of each other, stepping away from each other so they were now just standing beside each other.

"Sorry, guys." Lucas apologizes, walking over to the kitchen. "Had my head in the books."

Sammi looks at him with surprise and shakes her head. "Who are you and what have you done with Lucas?"

Lucas rolls his eyes even though he had a small smile on his lips. "Ha ha, very funny."

"Ooh! I'm so excited!" Katie grins as she walked inside the house through the side door that led to the kitchen with her mom and brother following her. "I'm so excited, too." Jack smiles, glancing around the kitchen. "Where's the cake?"