CHAPTER SEVEN

Let's face it, adulting is hard. Sammi was thankful that she lived with the Mendoza's and didn't have to live in an apartment or rent a house because she knew taking care of a place by herself would be way too much work for just her. But just to say thanks for everything they've done for her she helped with the chores. Unlike Lucas, who apparently hadn't done chores in his life even though he's twenty.

"Wait," Sammi stops texting a friend of hers from one of her online classes and looks up from her phone she heard Dave and Lori talking about Lucas not doing chores. She looks at Dave and Lori with surprise. "He seriously hasn't done a single chore?"

Lori sheepishly smiles at her. "In my defense, it was easier to just do it for him." She shrugs. "And I just have to say it, no one cleans better than me."

Nodding in agreement, Sammi chuckles. "You're not wrong. You're great at cleaning."

"Well," Dave chuckles lightly. "It's time he learns." He walks over into the living room area, standing by the fireplace with his wife as he calls out to his son. "Lucas! Come down here!"

"Ooh," Lori grins at him and playfully punches his arm. "So tough." Dave chuckled and grinned proudly, putting his hands on his hips. When Lucas walked down the stairs, Dave told Lori they need to put on their game faces.

"Hey, mom." Lucas stands in front of his parents, handing a basket of laundry to his mom. "Can you wash these for me?" In response, Dave takes the basket of laundry from Lori and hands it back to Lucas. "I'm sorry." Lucas apologizes, handing the basket to Dave. "Didn't realize you wanted to do it."

Sammi chuckles quietly and shakes her head. Sometimes Lucas wasn't the brightest. "Lucas," Dave pushes the basket back to Lucas. "Your mom and I aren't doing your chores."

Lucas furrows his eyebrows, looking at his mom and dad with confusion. "I have chores?"

Lori rolls her eyes. "Yes. You're gonna be doing your own laundry." She points at Lucas. "You're an adult now."

Dave nods. "This will be good for you."

Lucas shrugs. "Okay." He then notices something when he glances at the kitchen area and smiles. "Hey, I've been looking for that shirt." He sets the basket by the kitchen island when he walks over to it. He picks up a blue shirt that was stuck on a plate. A look of frustration forms on his face as he tries to pull off the shirt. He then just decides to put the plate in the open dish washer. He smiles at his parents. "Adulting, right?"

"So much about that is wrong." Sammi spoke up. 

Lucas glances at her with a bit of offense. "Hey, at least I'm trying."

Sammi smiles a bit and nods. "Yeah, good point." Lucas smiled at her before he picked up the basket of his laundry and walked up stairs.

****

Sammi was now sitting at the kitchen table on her phone texting that same person she had been texting earlier that day. That someone was Bryce, a boy who she shared an online class with. He messaged her on Instagram, and they started talking. They clicked instantly and have been talking online ever since then. Sammi wasn't for sure why someone like Bryce was talking with her. After she looked at his profile to see who she was (okay, maybe she kind of stalked him, but can you blame her, she didn't know anything about him other than he's her age and he's in her class), she found out he's the quarterback of the football team at the college they go to. She had wondered how he was able to do online classes after finding that out, and Bryce admitted he had decided on taking a couple of online classes to make things easier for him. 

The point is, Bryce is way out of her league. Not only did she find out he's the quarterback of the football team, but she also found out his family is wealthy. Bryce and Sammi had spent a few weeks texting each other without meeting each other until Bryce suggested they should meet each other. So, they met each other at Wired's and Sammi had to admit he as much cuter in person. She also liked the fact that Bryce didn't act like what you thought he would. He didn't act like your typical mean jock or a rich snob, he was actually nice and caring, plus he had a good sense of humor.