CHAPTER FOUR

Christmas is almost here and Sammi couldn't be more excited. Christmas was for sure her favorite holiday. She loved helping decorate the tree and the house with Christmas decorations, making cookies and hot cocoa, and watching Christmas movies.

She was currently in the living room, helping the Mendozas decorate. Well, Lori wasn't home yet, she's still at work and it didn't feel the same decorating without her. Normally she would be telling everyone that they aren't putting the decoration in the correct spot and would end up doing herself.

"This just doesn't feel right." Sammi commented, stopping herself from picking up an ornament from the box beside her. She stood up since she had knelt by the box and looked at Lucas when he spoke.

"Yeah," Lucas agrees. "It's weird without mom not telling us we're doing this wrong."

Alexa and Dave nods in agreement. "You know," Alexa puts her hands on her hips, a smile tugging on her lips. "I'm glad mom loves being an event planner, but it makes me sad decorating without her."

"Well, she's been getting home so late with all these holiday parties." Dave reminds his kids and Sammi. "She didn't want us to wait any longer."

"That's sweet of her, but it still feels wrong to do this without her." Sammi sighed.

Lucas went to put an ornament on the tree, but Alexa points at him, and he stopped. "Not there, Lucas."

Lucas smiles at her. "Thanks." He lowers his arms, his shoulders dropping in defeat. His smile fell and he shakes his head. "But it's not the same."

Sammi chuckles lightly and looks back at the box of ornaments in front of her to decide which one to pick. Alexa had walked over to the table behind the couch, going to put a Gingerbread house on the table. 

Alexa shakes her head, glancing at her dad. "I can't do this without mom."

Dave chuckles and walks over to her. He takes the Gingerbread house from her. "How hard could it be?" He looks at the table, trying to decide where to put the Gingerbread house. His eyes widens in realization and sighs. "So hard."

Alexa nods and begins to walk to the kitchen area. "Well, I'm gonna go find something for Katie's food drive."

Dave hands the Gingerbread house over to Sammi as he walks over to the kitchen area. "That's the spirit! Christmas is all about the giving. Go ahead! Take whatever you want."

"I seriously don't remember decorating for Christmas being this hard." Sammi remarked, walking over to the table behind the couch to try and decide where to put the Gingerbread house she now held.

"That's cause my mom was always with us and told us where to put the decorations." Lucas pointed out.

Sammi nods, setting the Gingerbread house on the table towards the left side. "Yeah, that's true." She moves back a bit to get a good look at where she placed the Gingerbread house far away. She puts her hands on her hips, tilting her head to the side. "Does that look good there?"

Lucas moves to stand beside her and stood in the same position Sammi is standing in. Sammi rolls her eyes and laughs a bit, playfully shoving him. He chuckles and shrugs his shoulders. "I honestly have no idea. I'm not good with decorating."

Sammi raises her eyebrows when she noticed Dave walking to the front door with his coat and keys. "Uh, Dave, where are you going?"

"To get more peaches." Dave responded as he left the house.

Sammi shared a confused look with Lucas before glancing over at Alexa. Alexa chuckles. "I'm taking the peaches we have left to Katie's food drive."

"Ah, okay." Sammi nods. "That makes a lot of sense."