Chapter 30

Natasha wakes up the next morning. Bucky is still sleeping. She feels the ring on her finger and admires it. It feels a bit unnatural, but oh how beautiful it is. It is a thin gold ring with 3 beautiful diamonds in a row. She holds it up in the sunlight that is peaking through the curtains.

"You like it Mrs Barnes?"

"You're awake." She kisses him softly. "And yes, it's beautiful."

"Just like the person wearing it."

They cuddle together under the covers and fall asleep again.

---

They are awakened by noise outside their room. Steve bangs on their door. 

"Bucky? Natasha? We're under attack!"

They hear a loud bang outside of Wakanda. Both jump up from bed and get dressed. In the weapons room they arm their self. It's hectic in all of Wakanda.

"What's happening James...?"

"I don't know. Let's find out."

They sprint outside. There they find a complete army standing in the open field. All sorts of Wakandans and other fighters. Up front is Steve and T'Challa. The barrier is protecting Wakanda but is being attacked by weird looking beings. It can barely hold them.

They run up to Steve. "What is happening Steve?"

"The whole world is under attack. By someone called Thanos. His army is after Vision. He carries an infinity stone they need. He just arrived with Wanda and are in the tower trying to extract the stone."

Bucky remembers Wanda and Vision from the fight years ago at the airport. T'Challa returns from the barrier. "They will not surrender. We are forced to fight."

Natasha turns to Bucky.

"Let's kick some butt" She smiles.

"See you later doll." He kisses her hand with the ring before holing the back of her head and kissing her deeply.

The barrier opens, letting all the creatures in.

The fight starts.

Short after they start Natasha loses sight of Bucky. She had to fight for her life and is pinned down by one of the creatures. The speer she was fighting with is stuck between the jaws of the monster. Bucky comes in running and stomps the creature out of the way. He helps her up and winks before fighting further.

When they seem overrun by the creatures a bright thunder appears in the sky. Natasha smiles "Thor." She whispers. He takes out dozens of creatures in one strike.

After killing dozens of monsters herself the fight suddenly stopped. It seems that Thanos' army are retreating.

"What's happening?" Natasha goes out to search for Bucky. "James?" She ends up in the woods and finds him, confused.

"What's happening? I feel numb. Natalia?" He looks at his hands, they slowly start to dissolve into black dust. He falls to his knees and is completely turned into dust when he hits the ground. "No! James!" Natasha kneels down on the ground where Bucky just disappeared. She puts her hands in the ground and digs her fingers into the dirt and dust. She closes her eyes and tears fall from her face onto the ground. She is waiting, hoping to disappear just like Bucky so she can be with him again.

"Bucky?" Steve kneels down next to her, also placing his hand on the ground.

"What is happening Nat?"

"I'm not sure" She sobs.

Thanos disappears in a purple cloud. Natasha feels numb. She is still kneeling down on the ground. Steve helps her up.

"We lost." He whispers to himself.

"This isn't happening." Natasha whispers.

"Nat?"

She starts crying and hyperventilating. "We were.. we were going to.." She falls on her knees again and feels smothered. She unbuttons the first buttons of her suit so she has room to breathe. She rubs her hands and feels the ring. Remembering his proposal makes her sob, tears running over her face. She blacks out.

---

She wakes up in her bed. When she feels next to her the spot is empty. Memories suddenly come flooding back. The fight, Thanos, Bucky...

She sits up in bed. And starts crying, resting her head on to her knees.

Anger suddenly takes over her sadness. She grabs the closest thing in her reach and throws it against the wall. The alarm clock, a chair and pillows are thrown before she collapses on the floor. Knowing Bucky is gone she feels hollow, like a part of her is missing. Just hours ago she was lying on that bed with him, she had never been so happy in her entire life.

Steve comes rushing in the room.

"Nat?" He helps her up and gives her a big hug.

"There must be something we can do." She whispers.

"I don't know if that's possible Nat."

She fiddles the ring on her hand. Steve looks at it.

"He asked me... I said yes."

"Oh, honey." Steve hugs her again, wiping away a tear of his own.