Chapter 31

Natasha has isolated herself in her room. Barely eating and staring out of the window. Holding on tight to the jacket he left behind. She closes her eyes and thinks of the moment they shared just before this all happened...

Outside she can see the open field where the fight was. It's completely damaged and filled with holes. Most of it has already been patched up by the Wakandans.

It has been weeks after the snap, and they haven't heard from Tony and Peter. They disappeared into space just before the snap. Carol has gotten some leads where they could be. It's been a few days since she left.

One evening, Natasha looks up at the sky and sees Carol coming back. With her she has a large spaceship and puts it on the ground. The hatch opens and Nebula and Tony stumble out of it.

"I lost the kid." he says to Steve before Pepper come running and hugs him tight.

Once inside, they show Tony what happened, and who disappeared in the snap. Images come by on the screen of colleagues, friends and fellow Avengers who have disappeared. She sees Tony reacting to the photo of Peter, he lost the kid, he is devastated. The photo of Bucky comes by and surprises her. She feels the empty feeling coming back in her stomach. For a moment it turns black before her eyes. Carol grabs her before she falls over and helps her into a chair. "Thanks" she says softly to Carol.

* About 5 years later *

Natasha is lying in a field with long grass filled with beautiful wild flowers. The air is fresh and the flowers smell amazing. She closes her eyes and enjoys the sunshine on her face. A soft hand is caressing her cheek and kissing her lips softly. She opens her eyes and sees a handsome man, blue eyes and a soft beard. Bucky has a sweet smile that makes her melt. She plays with the buttons on his shirt. He holds her back and pulls her close.

Natasha wakes up and soon realises what just happened; it was a dream. One of many. After a long period of nightmares every night, dreaming about Bucky like that is a warm welcome. Even though realising the heart-breaking truth every time she wakes up alone, that it was just a dream.

She stretches her arms and legs and sits up in bed. She searches for a piece of fresh clothing she can wear in the pieces scattered across the room. When she is fully dressed she goes to the kitchen to get some bread and a jar of peanut butter, she collects is on a plat. She takes it to the desk where she sits every day, meeting with other members of the Avengers.

She just finished making a sandwich when Steve walks in.

"You want a piece?" She asks.

"How are you Nat?"

Natasha just nods and takes a bite from her sandwich. "You?"

He gives her a small smile. "Same." He takes a sandwich and sits down. "Any news from space?"

Natasha shakes her head.

Suddenly the doorbell rings. A screen pops up with a camera view of the front door. "Guys? Anybody home?" The guy shouts to the camera and waves.

"Isn't that..? Scott Lang? I thought he disappeared in the Snap?"

They quickly open the front door and help him inside. Scott tells them his story. He got stuck in the Quantum realm for a few hours while in the real world 5 years have passed. He tells them that he probably knows a plan to get everybody back; time travel. To get the Infinity Stones and reverse what Thanos had done.

"What you're saying... it sounds like a syfi movie." Steve says.

Natasha is fighting back tears. What if they can bring them back.. bring James back.. "Please don't give us false hope Scott."