Chapter 19 - Family Outing

Going anywhere with the entire family was always a bit of a production. Mrs. McBride ran around the house, making sure everyone got what they needed for the outing, working herself up until she was so frazzled and frustrated that she couldn't remember where she put her keys—half the time they were in her pocket. Maggie stomped up and down the stairs, never sure where she left anything. Mercer yelled at everyone to "Hurry your asses," while being half-dressed until two minutes before it was time to walk out the door.

As always, Milo was ready to go at the agreed upon time. He and Judah sat on the couch in the living room, holding hands, joking and giggling about the chaotic disorganization going on around them.

Twenty minutes after they were supposed to leave, they finally walked out the door. They all piled into Mrs. McBride's car and drove to the beach. Milo didn't mind being squished between Judah and Maggie in the backseat, especially with Judah's hand resting on his thigh.

When they got out of the car in the parking lot across the street from the beach, Judah took Milo's hand. "It's so cool that you guys do this. I never would've thought about going to the beach the day after Christmas."

"It's actually a surprisingly good time to go." Milo said. "I mean there's people, obviously, but it's not too overcrowded like when me and you came a few days ago."

Judah moved at a snail's pace, so they ended up lagging behind the others. Milo wondered why until Judah said, "I'm a little bit nervous."

"What for?"

"You said your dad is coming."

"So?" Milo didn't know why that should make him nervous.

"So, I've never met him. And I'm worried he won't like me."

"Did you get this way about your ex-girlfriends' dads? Or do you just feel weird because I'm a guy?"

"No. It's not that. I promise." Judah pulled him to a stop and dragged him to the edge of the gangway to lean against the railing. "You being a guy is one of the many things I like about you." He tugged on the hem of Milo's shirt. "It's just nerve-wracking meeting the father of the person you're in... in a relationship with. No matter what their gender is."

"Don't worry. He's going to love you."

"How do you know?"

"Because you're awesome." Milo reached up to hold Judah's face. "You're adorable, and sweet, and funny. How could he not?"

Judah's lips quirked into a small smile. He lifted his hands to Milo's waist, slipping his thumb under the hem of Milo's shirt to stroke the skin above the waistline of his swimsuit, giving Milo a small thrill. "You're only saying that because I'm your boyfriend and I make out with you."

"No." Milo laid his hands on Judah's shoulders, massaging his tense muscles. "You're my boyfriend because of those reasons. I make out with you because you're hot."

Judah burst into laughter, pulling Milo into a tight embrace. He kissed Milo's cheek.

"Milo?"

Milo looked up the gangway to see his father and stepmother coming towards them. Heather was pushing Ben in a fancy stroller that looked like a tent rolling on tiny mountain bike wheels.

Milo pulled away from Judah and raised his free hand to wave at them.

After Mr. McBride hugged him, Milo pulled back and looked his father over, grimacing at the Hawaiian print shirt he wore half open. "What the hell is that shirt, Dad?"

"It's called fashion, son. You should look into it."

Milo scoffed, and Judah laughed. Milo shoved his shoulder. "Judah!"