3: Realisation

A few days later, Kongpob is sliding into a short sleeve button down shirt, when Arthit barrels into his room holding up half of his wardrobe in shaking arms.

"Which one? I don't.. I can't.."

Kongpob should have known the panic was coming, since Arthit had been suspiciously calm the past few days, neither alluding to the situation they were in nor allowing Kong to even bring up anything about it.

Instead, for the first time in their long friendship, the air around them has been strained and despite Kong's best efforts, he hasn't managed to lighten the mood. He'd even offered to watch one of Arthit's favourite comedies (that he absolutely hates) and hadn't made fun of it once, but Arthit had only huffed and complained that without Kongpob's snarky comments it was kind of boring

Now, he can see that Arthit is regretting waiting until twenty minutes before they need to leave to talk to him. So Kongpob takes matters into his own hands, pulling the hangers from his best friend's hand and hanging them along his wardrobe doors, then shoving Arthit backwards so he is seated in the cocoon of pillows and blankets that Kongpob likes to keep on his bed.

"This one, I think." He says, pulling out a complimentary shirt for his own, "And, yes, before you ask, I still want to go. And no, I'm not freaked out about the kiss. And yes, if you want to, you can kiss me tonight and hold my hand - whatever you need. And yes, if the teasing is too much, we can leave. Anything else?"

Arthit exhales deeply, air leaving his lungs in a long, smooth breath. Kongpob has heard this sound before, he knows Arthit's doing his best to stay calm and he knows the best way to help.

He flops onto the bed beside him and reaches for Arthit's hand, linking their fingers together, "You're here and you're safe and I'm not leaving you."

Arthit curls into him and they sit silently, matching their breaths.

When they're ready to leave the flat, Arthit pauses by the door, then turns and reaches for Kongpob's collar. He's expecting him to smooth it down, but he doesn't; instead, Arthit holds him at arms length, eyes tracing his face until they come to rest on his mouth and Kongpob feels himself nodding imperceptibly, aware of what Arthit wants.

It's heartbreakingly soft, their lips only brushing, but tingles still run from Kongpob's lips to his toes and he feels them curl up inside his sneakers.

It's a reminder of their first two kisses, kisses that Kongpob hasn't been able to push from his mind even though he's tried desperately to shove them down, under other thoughts and feelings about his job and his mother and his messed up life in general.

"Thank you," Arthit whispers and Kongpob nods again, not trusting his voice.

Then Arthit gestures to the door and Kongpob steps out on shaky knees and Arthit locks it behind them.

The night begins with bowling, something Kongpob isn't shy about showing his talent at. They manage to secure a lane with Bright and Em, Prae and Fang. It's a comfortable group, all of them laughing and catching up away from work. And Kongpob's met them all before, knows them well enough that he can slip into the group and share in their stories without feeling like the odd man out.

Of course, Bright and Em can't resist a few digs at them for hiding their relationship, and even Prae, who is the sweetest girl Kongpob knows, sticks an elbow in his side and inquires when he'll be making an honest man out of Arthit?

Kongpob barks in laughter, while Bright grabs Arthit by the shoulder and loudly asks why he looks so scared.

"We haven't... it's not.. I mean.."