6: Near, but so far apart

It's been a week of Kongpob frowning every time he sees Arthit; of his mother calling him to ask why exactly he hadn't told her he was dating Namtarn; of Kong's mother calling him to ask for juicy gossip, oh, and does he know any other nice nurses that Kong might like to date?

And Arthit feels like a prize idiot.

In the moment, despite Kongpob seeming ready to embrace their relationship in front of their family, Arthit had panicked.

His panic had been contagious in the restaurant and Kongpob had immediately shrugged his arm away from Arthit and moved his chair an inch away and laughed in a strange sort of voice that Arthit had never heard him use before.

And now Arthit had a mythical date with Namtarn and a best friend (boyfriend?) who wasn't speaking to him.

It absolutely sucks!

For the fortieth time, Arthit pauses outside Kongpob's door, the light bleeding under it proof that he's inside.

It's been a long and weary shift and all he wants to do is snuggle up to Kongpob on the couch and watch a crappy movie that they both hate and that they will both talk through, eat popcorn and wallow in his own stupidity.

Of course, when the person you want to snuggle with is the person whose feelings you have hurt, then the plan is a terrible one and will clearly not be happening.

But still, he knocks on the door again, "Kong?"

No answer.

A blast of music rattles Arthit's ears and he takes a step back, understanding the universal signal for 'Get lost!'

He sighs heavily and steps over to his own door, trying to muster some excitement for his 'date' with Namtarn which is happening soon.

Again, Arthit feels stupid.

What is he playing at, heading to his shower to clean up before his date with a girl he has zero interest in, while the man he loves is wallowing in his room and refusing to speak to him.

His life seems so ridiculous right now. Much worse than when he was still pretending to himself that Kongpob was just his roommate. Much worse than when he was trying not to imagine kissing him every time he came home from work.

Much worse than when he had imagined doing unspeakable things to him on the tiny couch in their living room (which was part of the reason he hadn't complained too much when Kongpob had insisted on this flat!)

Emotionally exhausted, Arthit reaches for his towel.

Oh well, at least his mother would be happy he had a date at last, even if she had raised her eyebrows meaningfully and whispered furiously to him, "But I thought you only liked boys?"

Arthit sheds his clothes and lets his eyes wander to his favourite photo of him with Kongpob. It's been on his bedside table as long as they've lived here and it's truly his happiest memory.

They're both leaning against a convertible, arms loosely linked around each other's waists. They look youthful, happy, free of any worries. It's a perfect shot of them, taken just as they had embarked on a two month road trip that had been a series of ridiculous events and catastrophes and near misses and almost kisses..

A holiday he'll never forget, one that haunts him sometimes but still makes him shiver with pleasure.

A shame he's finally gotten his kisses and he's blown it through his stupid panic!

He sighs heavily and steps under the spray.. Kongpob always forgives him.. he'll forgive him again.. won't he?

Inside his room, Kongpob is still seething. If he were a cartoon character, surely smoke would be pouring out of his ears.