7: Mother's Know Best!

"I used to date my best friend."

Arthit's mouth is hanging open, Kongpob's eyes are sort of crossed, and Namtarn is looking from Arthit's mother, to the pair of them and back again as though they can qualify her remark.

"It was before I met your father, Arthit."

Kongpob's hand snakes its way to hold Arthit's, fingers trapped together in the tiny space they are sharing. He squeezes and Arthit lets his head drop onto his best friend's shoulder. Then he looks at his mother and widens his eyes and she widens hers back as she looks between them.

"My best friend and I did everything together. We were joined at the hip and never cared what anyone else thought about us. We loved each other unconditionally and neither one of us ever thought it would end."

Kongpob raises an eyebrow and his own mother chimes in, "They were so close that Ela used to stay at his family home and no-one batted an eyelid, Kong! In fact, she used to stay over a lot!"

Kongpob feels his mouth turn up in a grin and beside him Arthit stiffens before he starts to laugh lightly as both of their mothers smile at them.

Beside them, Namtarn is clearly confused, eyes flitting back and forth, expression polite but interested. After a beat, Ela takes pity on her.

"When these two were young, they had the most intense sleepovers.. they would last days... moving from house to house, snacking on things they found in either fridge without telling us, making a mess and then hiding it with dropped items of clothing, staying up until the early morning watching TV or playing games. Arwena and I used to call each other and ask if they were staying there that night. It was quite an interesting time for us. They had so much energy all the time and neither of us could keep up!"

Kongpob nuzzles into Arthit as he watches their mother's share the story, clearly excited to tell it and to make whatever point it is they think they are hiding beneath it all.

"Once, I couldn't get Ela on the phone, so I sent Kerkkrai round to look for Kongpob." Arwena says, taking up the story as she gazes at her son and his best friend, curled around each other in the easiest manner as though there is no one else in the room. "He found them curled up on a pile of fresh laundry in Ela's basement, snuggled together like puppies - I still have the photo he took!"

Arthit shrugs at Namtarn as she raises an eyebrow at him. Then his mother goes on.

"I dated my best friend for six months when we were seventeen. But it didn't last. Uni came and we were separated and we drifted apart. It was hard to stay in touch and we didn't really choose to if I'm honest. It was a friendship and romance of the moment, not something long lasting and timeless."

Namtarn shuffles on her bean bag chair and then gracefully stands. "I think I know the point, Mrs Rojnapat, Mrs Suthiluck." She smiles at them and they smile kindly back too.

Arthit lifts his head from Kongpob's shoulder as she turns to look at them, "Arthit, thank you for being such a good friend to me when I had just started at work. Thank you for making sure I felt welcome and knew what to do. I really appreciate it. But I don't want to come between whatever.. this is." She waves a hand at him and Kongpob, still curled into each other on their own bean bag. "I shouldn't have tried to help that day. I like you a lot. But I know when I'm not helping. I know that I will only make things muddled and confused."

She heads for the door and Kongpob's eyes track her as she goes. Then he smiles too and says, "Thank you Namtarn. I think, one day, we'll be really good friends."

"But, just friends." Arthit says firmly as Kongpob tugs him as close as he can, smushing them together.

She smiles and heads out of the door and then Kongpob and Arthit turn to face their mothers.