vii. hallway contemplations

CHAPTER SEVEN·

CHAPTER SEVEN
·.¸¸.·♪♫ mr perfectly fine ♫♪·.¸¸.·

REECE WAITED OUTSIDE THE bombshell, along with the rest of her castmates, as Natalie Bagley searched for her emotional support hamster with the help of Carlos and Gina.

She noticed Josie and Anne, sharing funny TikTok videos with each other, she smiled to herself. She liked when they got along. She remembered when they hated each other in grade school, but to be fair Josie did ruin Anne's art project and as revenge, Anne cut off the brunette's ponytail.

Nini and EJ walked down the stairs, and judging by the look on Nini's face, she knew the truth about her phone.

"You're mad at me," he said, "Look, there was no fitting at lunch."

"Fine," she snapped, causing everyone to look up at the couple. "You wanna know where I was at lunch? I was at the computer lab bribing some hacker to stack into my phone to recover a message you deleted when you stole it."

"Wait. Why do you think that I-"

Nini cut him off "Oh, please. Gina's not the wonderstudy I need to worry about, is she?"

EJ's face fell, "Can we talk about this over the..."

"Don't," she pushed his hand away.

The two walked over to the corner of the hallway where the rest of them couldn't hear. Reece sighed, she knew Nini would find out but she had hoped it was from EJ and not someone else.

Nini finally walked back into view, "Hey, is the door locked or something?" Why can't we get in?" she asked, motioning to the door.

"Natalie Bagley's missing her emotional support hamster, he got loose," Ashlyn explained. "Carlos and Gina are helping her find her- him- it."

She was interrupted by a high-pitched scream coming from inside the bomb shelter. Everyone gasped,

"I think they found it."

Natalie came out carrying a shoebox. "I need a moment." she made her way up the stairs.

"Is it dead?" Reece asked Carlos.

"No," he shook his head. "Now she thinks he's in her gym locker."

"What's with the screaming?" Anne asked, making her way to Reece, Josie by her side.

"That was me, she stepped on my toe," he explained.

"We're ready to begin, people." he let out a sigh. "Ms. Jenn just talked to Ricky, he's running late."

"Who cares?" EJ rolled his eyes.

"You might, considering you're his understudy. We're blocking the Troy, Gabriella duet. You're on lovers."

Carlos and the rest of the crew made their way into the room. Reece stayed back until it was only her and EJ left in the hallway.

"God." he sighed.

"She wouldn't have reacted like that if you had told her yourself," she told him. Sure, she felt bad but it was a stupid decision he made and Reece wasn't about to sugarcoat it.

He scoffed, "Yeah, well I didn't. Looks like you got what you wanted."

Reece furrowed her eyebrows, "What are talking about?"

"Don't act like you didn't want Nini and me to break up just because you got your heartbroken."

She looked at him with disbelief, was he really putting this all on her? "This has nothing to do with me, EJ. It's your fault that you and Nini broke up, not mine, not Ricky's, your's."

"Just stay out of my love life, or better yet, stay out of my life." he snapped.

Reece sighed, he was the one who asked for her help. He has no right to act like that. "Well if that's what you want."

"It is." he quickly said.

She scoffed, pushing past him, she made her way into the bomb shelter.

EJ sighed in frustration, why would he say something so stupid? It wasn't Reece's fault, it was never her fault. As usual she was right and as usual he screwed it up. First, his relationship with Reece. Then, his relationship with Nini. And now he may have lost Reece for a second time.

He was never very good a communicating his feelings but Reece always helped. She'd do little things that helped them both with understanding each other. For instance, she'd ask him questions as to why he felt a certain way, or why he was acting the way he was. She'd let him do all the talking and would only interject if necessary. Reece never made everything seem like it was his fault (like some people did in his life), if she was upset EJ would do the same thing and talk to her.

That was one thing he missed about her, their talks. They used to talk for hours on end. One time he even drove to her house at 2am and they just drove around Salt Lake, no parents to tell them what to do, no friends to impress, no one, just EJ and Reece. The two kids in love.

Love, that's a funny word, they never said it to each other. Sure it was implied that they loved each other, but neither of them were ready. They both thought the other didn't feel the same, which it was painfully obvious they were wrong, but still no one said it. And he stupidly said it to Nini, when he knew Reece was listening. It was a stupid mistake and one of the many things he wished he could take back.

"EJ?" Carlos called for him, "Everyone's waiting, come on."

"Coming." He wiped away the tear that had fallen, walking into the bombshell avoiding eye contact with the redhead at the piano.

INEZ SPEAKS

I won't lie to you this was not how the story was going to go but it happened. Also this has been ready for 3 days now I just couldn't find a good gif to use.

Edit: Thank you -officiallyobsessed- for the cover! I love it