Chap 5: Wedding Bells

------------------------------

POV: Ali

The wedding was planned; and here I stand, waiting at the altar for Scarlett. It was our wedding day. Standing in my black suit, a pure white shirt and baby blue tie, I had Chris next to me as my best man. He and I had gotten close over the years. He might as well be my brother at this point. The wedding march started and I focused on Scarlett appearing, her father walking her down the aisle. My jaw dropped as everything around me disappeared, only leaving her and I.

"Wow." I mumbled, and it was a soft laugh that got my attention. I peeked at Chris. "What?"

"You both have the same look on your face. It's as if the only things that exist are you and her."

"Until you laughed, I honestly forgot that everyone else existed." I answered honestly, falling silent as Scarlett and her father, Karsten, stepped up to me.

"Take care of her." Karsten said, offering her hand to me.

"Always." I answered, nodding to him. He stepped back and went to his seat.

The officiant began the ceremony. "Thank you to the friends and family that are here today to celebrate the union of Scarlett and Ali. This occasion not only marks the beginning of their marriage commitment together, but it is a commemoration of the love nurtured and shared between these two. Together, they embark today on a new life together, built on the foundations of trust, compassion, and mutual respect. If there is anyone in attendance who has cause to believe that this couple should not be joined in marriage, you may speak now or forever hold your peace." No one spoke or even moved.

"At this time, before proceeding with the bonding ceremony, I would invite the couple to share their vows. Scarlett, would you please deliver yours first?"

Scarlett smiled, taking a small card from Elizabeth, her maid of honor, who took her flowers. She looked at me and took a breath.

"Since the day you walked into my life, it's been more fulfilling, my smile has been bigger and my heart has been more full. The days since we first met have had their share of struggles and trials but I've never once felt lonely in that time. I promise to love not only who you are today, but to love the person you grow into over the years. I promise to love you unconditionally, to laugh when you're happy, to cry when you're sad. I promise to remember that neither one of us is perfect, but strive to remind myself of the ways we are perfect for each other. I promise to love you, respect you, support you and above all else, make sure I'm not just yelling at you because I'm hungry. I promise to be faithful and supportive and to always make our family's love and happiness my priority. I will be yours in plenty and in want, in sickness and in health, in failure and in triumph. I will dream with you, celebrate with you and walk beside you through whatever our lives may bring. You are my person—my love and my life, today and always. I see these vows not as promises but as privileges: I get to laugh with you and cry with you; care for you and share with you. I get to run with you and walk with you; build with you and live with you. With my whole heart, I take you as my wife."

By the time she was finished, I was sobbing. I looked at Chris, and he held up a tissue for me. I took it, wiping my eyes.

"Ali, your vows?"

"How do I follow that?!" I spoke up, clearing my throat. "I'm so proud that today I become your wife. I love you. I love the way you dance to make me laugh. I love that you always push my hair back when it's in my face. I love that I get a kiss from you every time we stop at a red light. I love that you're open to trying new things. Today, I want to make promises to you that I will always keep. I promise to never stop holding your hand. I promise to make sure I'm not just hungry when I get upset. I promise to give you all the love and support that I give Rose. I promise to share my food with you, never go to bed angry and always honor your passion for whatever random interest you have that week. I promise to stand by your side while you face the world. Listen to you when you speak. I promise to join your laughter with my own and when you can't look on the bright side, I will sit with you in the dark. I promise to grow alongside you, but also to never grow up. I promise to love, respect, protect and trust you, and give you the best of myself, for I know that together we will build a life far better than either of us could imagine alone. I choose you. I'll choose you over and over and over, without pause, without doubt, I'll keep choosing you. I used to never truly enjoy moments because I was always waiting for what's next. The next thing to happen. Kind of living life in fast forward. Now that I have you, I enjoy the moment. Every moment. Today seems like it's the start of a new journey, but I already belong to you. Falling for you wasn't falling at all—it was walking into a house and knowing you're my home. I love you."

The officiant spoke up again, a slight crack in his voice. "Scarlett and Ali please join hands. Scarlett, do you take Ali as your cherished Wife, in front of these witnesses, and promise to stay by her side through sickness and health, joy and sorrow, so long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Ali, will you take Scarlett as your cherished Wife, in front of these witnesses, and promise to stay by her side through sickness and health, joy and sorrow, so long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

Chris handed me the rings and I held one out to Scarlett. She smiled and took it, ready to put it on my finger.

"The wedding rings perfectly symbolize the never-ending love you two have for each other. By exchanging these rings, you solidify a lifelong commitment to one another. The rings serve as a welcome and constant reminder of the bond you've formed with your partner. Please repeat after me: I, Scarlett, give you, Ali this ring as a symbol of my enduring love. Just as the circle of the ring."

Scarlett repeated the words. The officiant began again, this time with me repeating the words.

"I, Ali, give you Scarlett this ring as a symbol of my enduring love. Just as the circle of the ring completes itself, so you complete me."

The officiant smiled. "Scarlett and Ali, by the power vested in me by the Universal Life Church and by the state of New York, I am pleased to pronounce you Wife and Wife, sealed together today both in law and in love before these witnesses. You may kiss your bride."

I pulled Scarlett towards me, gently cupping her cheek. "I love you, more than anything else." I leaned forward, pausing just before her lips, allowing her to close the distance. She pressed her lips to mine, a rather tame kiss considering what we had already done. Our kiss was interrupted by the officiant speaking one final time.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I now have the privilege of presenting, for the first time, Mrs. and Mrs. Johansson-Peridiam!"

---------------------------

One Final Chapter <3