Chapter 17: You Should Know

"Hey! Nash!"

"Hey! Nash!"

I turn around to see Daily approaching me from the opposite side of the hallway, wearing a huge smile. I wait for him to catch up, giving him a smile in return as he falls into step with me.

"So, a bunch of us are going laser-tagging after school for fun. You should come with."

"I'll check my homework load for tonight, but I can probably make it. Who's going?"

"Me, Peyton, Emma, Axel, Liam, Isla, Jennifer, Audrey, and Arthur. Oh, and I asked Cody a few minutes ago and he said he'd come if you or Keira did, so if you're coming then he'll probably be there."

"Cool. So, should I ask Keira as well?"

"Nah, Audrey said she would. You're in, though?"

"Probably. Where's the place? I should probably figure out the bus route now."

Daily flaps a hand at me. "Just hitch a ride with one of us. Don't you ride with Axel sometimes?"

I cough to cover my very, very red face. "Right, yeah. I'll do that. Alright, I've got to get to class. See you later, then?"

"For sure." He gives me a cheeky salute, then disappears back down the hallway.

At the end of the day, I find Axel at his locker. He grins. "Hey. Did Daily invite you to go laser-tagging with us?"

"Yeah. Could you give me a ride?"

He gives me a sly smirk. "Sure. And don't worry about Keira and Cody- their rides have been covered."

I try to hide my smile. "So it'll just be you and me?"

I can tell he's suppressing a grin as well. "Yeah, I guess so."

So, naturally, we take a short detour on our way to the laser tag place, pulling onto a neighbourhood street and parking in an alley to make out for a couple of minutes. And then we spend the rest of the drive holding hands over the console between us and coming up with excuses as to why we're late, which kind of devolves into flirting.

Anyways, we show up to the laser tag place about ten minutes after everyone else, but that's fine because we can't get in until the last group gets out anyways. We pay, and then we meet up with the rest of our friends to face the inevitable questioning about why we took so long. And, naturally, we didn't actually end up coming up with a decent excuse, so. Yikes.

"Where were you guys? We all got here, like, ten minutes ago," Audrey informs us, eyes narrowed.

"Errand for my mom," Axel says dismissively, then changes the subject. "So, are we doing truces or not?"

Peyton snorts, not bothering to look up from his phone as he responds. "Like truces ever work. You and Emma are cutthroat."

Emma smacks her boyfriend's shoulder. "I'm not that bad."