chapter one.

-~**~--~**~-

Saving Someone New

Saving Someone New

Rosemary did the same thing every week. For the past seven years, her routine had never changed. Saturday: She goes looking for food for her and Boy. Monday: She tries her best to stay in the van, same thing for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But on Wednesday and Sunday, she would go exploring. She's found a shotgun, jump ropes, she made a bow and arrow out of stuff she found, Rosemary's found basically everything.

Rosemary had learned how to shoot a gun and she's been trying to find as much bullets as possible, but it was really hard. So she promised herself that she wouldn't use her shotgun unless it was completely necessary.

Today, Rosemary and Boy were just walking around, trying to find anything that was cool or could be helpful. Rosemary was walking down a familiar street in her brother's favourite black and gray flannel over her gray skin tight tank top that was tucked into her baggy cargo pants. She had her favourite Doc Marten boots. Yes, they were heavy, but she's had them for so long that she doesn't even notice anymore. They don't even slow her down when she runs anymore. Rosemary had her shotgun slung on her back with her bat with nails hammered into it sitting in her bag.

This familiar street she was walking down was the street she lived on. Rosemary could barely recognize it. To be fair, she also found a soccer ball and she was focused on kicking that around. Boy suddenly barked and Rosemary looked up from the soccer ball. She came face to face with her house.

Rosemary, her older brother and her little sister were the only people who survived, but they both died a few years ago. They had driven the van farther away so Rosemary hasn't seen her house since the day the whole world went to shit.

Rosemary and Boy started walking back to her house. They walked inside and memories started rushing back to her. She walked into the kitchen and saw the chore chart with her and her siblings names. Freddie or Fredrick, her older brother, Lily, her younger sister and Harry, her younger brother. Rosemary kept looking around her house. She came out to the backyard and walked to the side of the house. She saw the huge mural that her parents let her paint on the side of the house and she couldn't help but smile at it.

Suddenly, Rosemary heard a bubbling and grumbling sound. Her and Boy ran outside and saw a guy her age in jeans and a red jacket over a blue shirt. He was frozen in place with his hand on his crossbow staring at a giant mutated frog that was sitting in her old pool. Rosemary saw its tongue lurch out and she knew it was going to hit the boy. Rosemary tackled him to the ground and its tongue missed her and the boy. She landed on top of him and they made eye contact. He still looked scared as hell.

Rosemary got off of him and Boy was barking at the giant frog. It had swallowed a garden gnome and the boy was still sitting on the floor in shock. Rosemary grabbed her shot gun from off of her back and loaded it. She stood in front of the boy protectively. She didn't know him, but this was the first time she's seen a person other than her siblings in seven years, so she was going to be a little protective. Rosemary aimed the gun at the frog and shot it right in the mouth. It did nothing.