chapter four.

-~**~--~**~-

Losing Memories

Losing Memories

They were still walking. That's all they did. Just walking, walking, walking, walking. They were walking through a forest in a line with Minnow in front, Rosemary behind her with Boy walking beside her, Joel behind her and Clyde behind him. "Where you guys headed anyway?"

"North. To the mountains."

Joel looked behind him momentarily. "What's up there?" Clyde answered by saying, "A, uh, place called Snow Mountain Wilderness. Supposed to be some kind of colony up there for survivors. The cold and elevation help to keep the monsters away."

"Rose, you should come with us." Minnow was starting to look up to Rosemary. She'd only known her a few hours, but Minnow really took to her. "Well, I have to help Joel get to his girlfriend."

"What about after?" Joel listened closely for her answer. Neither of them had thought about what would happen to Rosemary after Joel found Aimee. "I-I don't know. I might just try to find where I lived before again. It was right by my house and it's just hard to leave it."

That put Minnow in sort of a bad mood which made Rosemary feel bad, but she couldn't lie to her. "Joel?"

"Well, I would, but you know-"

Minnow cut him off. "You gotta find your girlfriend. Yeah, yeah."

They were sort of walking in this ditch, so Minnow walked up the tiny hill and was walking along side them, just above them. "Uh...Minnow. If you knew her, you'd really like her. She's a super cool person."

"Well, she's not gonna like you, 'cause you can't even get out of a Sandgobbler's nest. And honestly, I just like you 'cause you're friends with someone who has a really cute dog."

Joel mumbled under his breath. "Hurts my feelings."

Minnow also mumbled under her breath. "You're so useless."

Joel turned around and gave Clyde a 'what's with her' look. Clyde knew Minnow well enough to know what was wrong. They all stopped walking and Clyde reassured them. "It just means she likes you. She's uh...she's been through a lot."

Minnow was still mumbling under her breath. "So annoying.

Suddenly, Clyde looked in between Joel and Rosemary. "Joel. Mary."

"What?"

"Don't move."

"Oh my god. Why?"

Rosemary knew why. "You've got to be kidding me." Rosemary took off her brother's flannel and gave it to Clyde. She felt tears welling up in her eyes because she knew she was about to lose the last thing she had of her brother.

"Give me your shirt." Joel was still confused. "My shirt? What do you mean?"

"Your shirt, man. Give me your shirt."