chapter eight.

-~**~--~**~-

Apart

That night with the Sky Jellies, Mav1s and the music was something that stuck in Joel and Rosemary's mind all night. If this was a regular high school, dramatic sort of thing, the two of them would be doing everything to avoid each other, but they can't do that now. They have to stick together.

That night, neither of them wanted to sleep in the bed since, yes, everything is sort of gross, but that bed was just...dear god. Rosemary ended up sleeping on the couch outside with Boy laying on the ground next to her and Joel slept on the couch inside since there was one in the room.

In the morning, they were both clearly tired, but Rosemary has never had to deal with this much stress before. One: She's fighting for her, her dog's and her friend's life and two: she's a young, adult woman dealing with emotions, wondering if the guy she likes, likes her back. Yeah, Rosemary admitted it to herself. She really likes Joel, but he has a girlfriend. So that's a no go. But in that sense, she was exhausted. Physically and mentally.

When Joel walked outside, he saw Rosemary sound asleep. He was ready to go and even Boy was awake, but she was fast asleep. "Rose?" Joel shook her arm slightly. "Rose." Rosemary groaned and sat up.

"We gotta go."

"Was I still asleep? I'm sorry-" She said as she stood up from the couch, but Joel cut her off. "It's fine, you're tired. I'll let you get ready, then we can leave." Rosemary smiled as she walked inside. Her stuff was still inside, so she had to go get it.

When Rosemary was ready, her and Joel kept walking. It was a hotter day, so Joel wasn't wearing his red sweater. He just had his shirt that Clyde had lend him. Before they started their great journey, they buried Mav1s. They left her foot out on top and a little sign with some cool trinkets they found.

While Joel and Rosemary were on their actual journey, the two of them had moved last night into the back of their heads. And because of that, Rosemary was reassuring him that Aimee wasn't going to dump him because survivors had shown up at her camp.

"Some survivors showed up at the camp."

"I really don't think it's something you have to worry about." Boy was trailing in front of the two as they walked side by side, sniffing basically everything in sight.

"Yeah. I mean, what are the odds that they're like awesome and similar to our age and potentially a threat to me romantically?" Joel said as they past a metal fence with many warnings spray painted on such as, 'death ahead' and 'turn back now'.

"Slim to none. You're gonna be fine. She'll love you for you." It hurt Rosemary to say that, but she had to be supportive of her friend.

Joel surprisingly agreed with her...sort of. "Yeah, yeah, we're gonna be totally fine...Actually, why don't we pick up the pace a little bit, just in case-" Joel was cut off by Rosemary yanking his arm back. He wasn't sure why she did, until he looked down. There was a massive pit with a bunch of junk in it. Even a car and a van.