chapter five.

-~**~--~**~-

Parting Ways

Parting Ways

In the morning, they did the exact same thing. Walking. They walked past a huge cliff with giant bee's nests on the side, but luckily, they didn't run into any mutated bees. They had stopped for a few minutes and Minnow was helping Joel with his target practice again. He was aiming his crossbow at a tree and Minnow was mocking him beside him, trying to distract him while Rosemary was wrapping more of her hockey tape around her bow. It was starting to split slightly and she didn't want it to break.

"Roar! I'm gonna kill you, Joel Dawson! I'm gonna eat you like broccoli! I'm Joel, and I can't protect my girlfriend because I'm useless and insecure and an awkward little teenager!" Rosemary laughed at the last part. "But I need you to save me! I thought you loved me! But I can't because iuvglitc oujgb iuv!"

Joel was very confused by that monstrous sounding last part. "What?"

"That's your girlfriend dying. A needle through water."

Joel let out a breath and mumbled, "A needle through water." Joel shot the arrow and it hit right where he was aiming at. Rosemary smiled and Minnow got really happy. "Whoo-hoo! Yes! See? Bullseye!"

Minnow tackled Joel into a hug and he stumbled slightly. Joel looked over at Rosemary for help who was just smiling and laughing. Clyde spoke up from a few meters away. "Got yourself and admirer there, huh?"

The two looked over at Clyde. Rosemary stood up and slung her bow back on her back as Clyde said, "Hey, we gotta get going."

Rosemary and Boy started walking over to Clyde and Joel tried too, but Minnow was latched on. "Minnow? What are you doing?" Clyde and Rosemary looked back and Clyde sighed. "Give me your bag and bow." Rosemary knew what he wanted her to do. Rosemary handed him her stuff and he slung it on his back as well. Rosemary walked over to a struggling Joel and he mouthed, 'help'.

"Hey Minnow, do you want a piggy back ride?" Minnow immediately let go of Joel and ran right at Rosemary. Rosemary turned around and bent her legs as Minnow jumped onto her back. Rosemary jogged back to Clyde with Minnow on her back and Minnow was laughing the whole time.

They kept walking, through woods and hills. Minnow eventually got off of Rosemary's back and Rosemary took her stuff back from Clyde. They stopped for a few minutes and Clyde taught them how to throw knives. Rosemary was actually pretty good at it. She likes to say that she never misses and she's proven that so far. They walked through swamps and Clyde taught Joel new lessons like, don't take shortcuts or target practice everyday or keep your socks dry.

They walked through meadows and Joel was getting a lot better with his target practice, hitting the bullseye basically every time. The 'not both' rule Joel had been struggling with, but Rosemary helped him out. He had trouble sleeping a lot of nights so Rosemary would tell him stories about her life before the world went to shit and if Joel was being honest with himself, he'd much rather stay up and listen to her talk than fall asleep.